Electronic Bugle trial

Barney Eaton

Notice to all foreign BCA members.

At the Ames Board meeting, I made a motion that a 6 month trial be started for an electronic Bugle. The motion passed the board and will start when the BCA office has the email file ready.

If you are a BCA member and live outside the US you need to make certain the BCA office has your correct email address so that you can receive an electronic Bugle. You will continue to receive a hard copy, but you will get the electronic copy at the same time as US BCA members get their Bugle.

Once this starts, your input to the BCA office and the BCA Board will determine the future of an electronic Bugle. The trial is to get feedback and work out any unforseen problems.

Will there be an electronic Bugle for US members? This trial will help decide that answer.

Bob, that could be addressed after any problems are worked out. Again, an electronic Bugle for those that would be interested may be a year away.

Let the BCA Board hear your ideas, suggestions, and other comments.

The Board members email address appears in the front of the Bugle, or you could send one email to the BCA office and ask them to distrubate to the Board.

Guest Jeff_Miller

Sigh... perhaps I'm just getting old. I've worked with computers my entier career and worked on developing many of the paperless forms of communication we have today. However, as convenient as electronic information is I prefer printed material, especially for things like the bugle. I can appreciate many of the things that an electronic addition might bring but it will be a sad day when I no longer receive the glossy, printed magazine in my mail anymore.

Guest jules greenway

as Jeff says, it is nice to receive the printed version, but to get the electronic one earlier will be great. Also very useful if, for example, it would be possible to submit copy or adverts electronically?

Jules

Jules - over the years my family have submitted a number of articles for the Bugle and all have been submitted electronically. Just send something in to Pete the editor via e-mail. The free member ads could also be submitted electronically - it is outlined in the beginning of the classified section.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that this is a trial for international BCA members. When they receive the Bugle weeks or months after members in the USA, the classifieds in particular can be out of date and they can miss out on items they want / need for their Buicks. This is especially important for those overseas who don't have access to the abundance of wrecking yards and parts suppliers we do in North America.

The electronic Bugle has been discussed by the BCA Board for a couple of years. There are some concerns.... such as "what if members just forward it to non-members" this may happen but hopefully members will recoganize that giving the Bugle away undermines one reason for belonging to the BCA .

It is hoped that more foreign members might join the BCA if a timely version of the Bugle were available to them. We hope the foreign BCA members will tell other Buick owners about this oppertunity to get a publication on time and it will bring in more members.

Assuming the experiment goes well and the BCA Board approves an electronic Bugle for all members, there are several options they need to consider and you might want to voice your opinion to them.

(1) Membership as it presently is with a printed Bugle.

(2) Membership as it exists today with a printed Bugle plus an electronic version

(3) BCA membership and only an electronic Bugle.

There are pros and cons for each option and membership dues would need to be adjusted for each option. The basic thinking is the electronic version would not be free even if you are getting a printed Bugle.... there are some administration time/expenses involved in keeping the email database current. Think about keeping 8000 email addresses up to date and the ongoing changes you would receive daily to make a change..... I would not do it for free ..... any volunteers?

Please note that the above is my opinion and observations from discussions while I was on the Board. The final decision on this issue will be decided by the present BCA Board.

Barney,

We already maintain an email database for the BCA PreWar Division with little trouble. Our members usually let us know when they miss an issue and provide their email address changes. It takes maybe five to ten minutes per month to update the database with new members and changes.

We do it all for free too! No dues for BCA members.