My son.... the Buick owner

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Took the Pontiac convertible out to my friends shop last Friday to do some tinkering. This is a plumbing shop complete with all the supplies to run a modern plumbing business plus a 2 post lift , paintbooth 2 project cars torn apart and every automotive tool known to man. Sometimes I swear the plumbing is just an excuse to have the garage. Anyway back to the Buick part of the story. Jared (plumber) has a 98 Century sitting beside his shop. It was his sons first car. Now its my sons first car. Tim is now a Buick owner. It wont be official until he is 18 (5 years from now) but it will be in my name while he works on it and until hes 18. It needs a lot of work and hes only 13 so that will give him 3 years to get it into shape. Im hoping that if he spends his own money on it and turns his own wrenches that maybe he will treat it a little kinder than your average 16 year old does. I dont think he will be joining the BCA just yet. Not to harp on an old subject but right now at his age and with the work the car needs thats $50 that can be put to better use. Im not saying he wont ever join the BCA , after all hes eventually going to end up with my 77 also but for now anyway hes got other priorities and I think hes probably too young anyway.

Dan

Congrats Dan, on raising a Buick Kid. I have two of them here on this board, who did turn their own wrenches on their own cars at 15 or so. And they do indeed treat their cars much better than the average youth. BUT my middle son, well thats a whole different story. He still drives a Buick, for now, but that thing is going to the junkyard sooner than later, pretty much completely used and abused. To him a car is transportation only. It will be interesting to see what he gets when this car dies, but the 93 Regal we sold to him is still going with over 230K on it, although the body is rusting away pretty fast now.

Dan,

I forgot how nice your 77 was. I want to be your son and I am older then Tim so I should get the 77.

:D

I think the last generation of Century 4 door models were nicely styled and I can see a few of them being kept as collectors.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dans 77 Limited

Hes pretty dedicated to the 77 so Im thinking you might have to go to great lengths to get it out of him. For some reason he has really made an attachment to that car. I think if I sold it I would need a "food taster" for the rest of the time he lives under my roof :D. We are going to try to pick up the 98 next saturday and get it over here so he can start the process.

Dan