1967 Fairlane & Comet undercarriage colors

Guest Swifster

Guest Swifster

While taking a small break from my '64 Studebaker Daytona, I'm doing a little playing (and stress relief) by working on a model car. It's a '67 Comet Cyclone GT and I want to start on the chassis. I know the engine compartment of most Fords at that time was semi-gloss black, including the firewall , radiator support and aprons. With this being a unibody car, how far back did this go? The entire underside? Just to the end of the engine compartment with the rest the same as the body? Primer? Anyone have any pictures of a well detailed restoration?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Swifster (see edit history)

Guest Dave Wyatt

On my son's 66 Fairlane, I have found the semi gloss black all the way to the rear of the car. It is/was a southern car and some parts were pretty well preserved. We found the paint under peeling OEM sound deadener.

Guest Swifster
On my son's 66 Fairlane, I have found the semi gloss black all the way to the rear of the car. It is/was a southern car and some parts were pretty well preserved. We found the paint under peeling OEM sound deadener.

Dave, thanks for the confirmation. I found some pics of a Fairlane being restored with most of the floorboards replaced. What wasn't messed with looked black (original e-coat). Semi-gloss (chassis black) it is! Thanks!