31 Steering Wheel Removal

Guest RJS

Need some advice on removing the steering wheel from my 31 Model S. have the center horn piece removed, exposing the shaft nut. Does this simply screw off, or is a wheel puller necessary. Direction that nut should turn?

Ron

KC

The nut is a right hand thread. Lefty loosen, righty tighty. After removing the nut that holds the wheel on, spray some penertrating oil around the main shaft. Yes you will need a wheel puller. Use a split type that goes around the steering wheel colum and slides up under the steering wheel. DO NOT pull on any part of the bakelight sterring wheel as it will crack or brake. Straddle the center of the wheel and turn the wheel pullers center bolt to the right aiming it at the center of the shaft that holds the steering wheel on. Increase the tension on the screw in steps. Tap the center bolt on the steering puller after each time you increase the tension. I can not tell you how much tension to apply to the center bolt as I have never measured it. I guess its a sense of feel. Good Luck

Thank you for the detail. Most likely I would have pulled on the wheel. I'm assuming that I will have to remove the horn innards before removing the nut. Anything more that I might have to be careful of in doing this?

Again, thank you vey much.

Ron