1950 Buick - starting hard when warm

Hi guys,

Hope someone can help shed some light on this problem. I have a 1950 Buick Special 248 6volt. It starts fine when it's cold. However after I've driven it awhile and it gets hot and I shut it off and go to restart it, it starts really hard. By that I mean the engine turns over and I have to hold the pedal to the floor for about 15-30 seconds of continuous cranking before it finally starts. I've tried not touching the gas at all (I also have a push button starter), tried holding the pedal half way down, and putting it to the floor.

As I said it starts fine when cold, but has a hard time starting when it's warm. Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

This will haunt you as long as you own this car! I wish I were exaggerating much, but it has to do with our current gasoline and the fact that there's a huge exhaust manifold under the carburetor. Here's some options to make it better:

1. 7/16" carb spacer from Bob's Automobilia

2. Lowering the carb float 1/16" to 1/8"...however, this will make it run leaner and will cause the exhaust to be hotter, somewhat negating the effect.

3. If it's not a show car, design a return system using a 3-way fuel filter plumbed into the fuel line near the carburetor. I have mine going back through a 1/4" steel fuel line to the fuel filler, where I drilled and tapped a hole for a fitting.

4. Learn the way your car likes to start. Before I added the return, mine liked just a bit of throttle as it cranked. Now, it likes it all the way to the floor and it starts within a second or two.

5. Make sure your heat riser in the exhaust is tied so all the exhaust goes out the tailpipe. I took the bimetal spring and unwound it so the flap is always closed. This slightly affects cold weather running, but not too bad.

6. Make sure your vacuum advance holds vacuum and your ignition timing is correct, as these can affect engine temp. A hot engine compartment makes the problem worse.

I have been fighting this problem since I got my car 5 years ago. I literally put the return system in 2 days ago. It's not a magic bullet but it helps. Good luck! Oh yeah, I got the return idea from Jon at the Carburetor Shop (aka Carbking)...thanks Jon!

Edited by Aaron65 (see edit history)

They all seem to do it scott. As mentioned, the culprit is heat. When possible, I open the hood as soon as I stop the car to let the heat escape faster. But the heat directly under the carb will vaporize the gas and cause this problem almost all the time.

PS: I have begun to use stabil on everytank full of gas. Just the red one in a lighter concentrate. I may be misjudging, but I think the car runs a bit better on this and that hard starting is reduced.

Okay, so after reading the service manual the section about volatile gasoline says that if you're running volatile gasoline (which obviously I am since the manual was written in 1950!) it says to set the choke thermostat adjustment to run leaner (on a Carter which is what I have). So I adjusted it to run a bit leaner (one point past center mark). Then I took it out for a really long drive and after it was hot I turned the key, held her to the floor and she fired right up! So I'm hoping that solves my problem, but I'll keep you posted.

I had forgot to ask you about that today, but glad to see your manual had a suggestion.

Meanwhile, you took off today before we could get a picture of you and Patrticia with your car. I hope everything was okay?

• 1 year later...
Okay, so after reading the service manual the section about volatile gasoline says that if you're running volatile gasoline (which obviously I am since the manual was written in 1950!) it says to set the choke thermostat adjustment to run leaner (on a Carter which is what I have). So I adjusted it to run a bit leaner (one point past center mark). Then I took it out for a really long drive and after it was hot I turned the key, held her to the floor and she fired right up! So I'm hoping that solves my problem, but I'll keep you posted.

Scott,

Did this remedy your hard start problem when your 1950 was hot.