1957 Buick Heater Core Removal Question

buick man

Is there anyone out there that has removed a 1957 heater core in the easiest way possible.

Now I have what I believe to be a very comprehensive set of both 1957 Buick factory chassis manuals and vintage 1957 era shop manuals. No where does any of them address the specific removal of the heater core. Does one access it through and under the front passenger's fender or remove the dash pads inside or a combination of both? I could remove everything and then find out how to do it but I thought someone on the planet may have done this before and would have some time saving pointers.

David

Thanks in Advance!

David

Born Buick - " I like things just the way they were and drive-em just the way they are "

Isn't removing all of it and finding out how it works all the fun though? I restored one years ago and don't remember anything unusual, typical drop the heater assembly and swap the core but pretty sure there are bolts o. The firewall side that hold the heater assembly in, you should be able to tell from looking at it, where do the heater hoses hook in?

Yeah there are a lot of ways to have fun here.

I have been doing some research. I think you access it under the passengers fender in back of the wheel/tire. Inside I believe you have to undo 8 nuts to take the inside cover off just near the front passengers kick panel. The hoses go back and down into this area. Under the hood is just the fan blower attached to the flume.

When I was 14 I loved taking things apart and spent hours on cars doing just that, but most of the time I never had to put it back together. Now at 56 I just want to do it in the most expeditious way possible, clean and correct then move on to other chores. The gospel now is to - Get It Done & Do It Right!

The funny thing is (Unless I have completely missed this) I have all the "Official" service books, manuals and service bulletins and no where does it address the service/removal of the heater core. These books tell you everything else down to the stitch on a flies panties, but not this.

Go figure.

David

Here is a thumbnail that gives you some clues. I did this job a few years ago. If I remember correctly, this is what I did. First jack up the right front and remove the wheel. Then remove the inner fender cover over the heater core. Note; there are two bolts at the bottom of the fender which are usually rusted in place. Next drain the hoses/radiator. Remove the blower duct. Remove the hoses from the nipples of the heater core. Then, go inside the car, remove the kick panel and remove the screws from around the perimeter of the core housing. Now, back to outside and remove the housing along with the core.

post-54279-143138266424_thumb.jpg

Edited by Caballero2 (see edit history)

Guest 46BuickSuper

I have a 46 Buick Super- does the front right fender have to be taken off to access the heater core?

Would the core have an affect on the collant temp? By this I mean if the core was corroded could this leade to accelerated temperatures? Right now lots of hot air pours in the cabin- not fun in Virginia summers :)

Gee gosh thanks! You don't need to be a Sherlock to see the photo you provided tells the whole story. Now why the heck did the factory not include this under their section regarding heating/air conditioning unless they have an explicit heater/air conditioning manual that I do not have or know about? Or if they do, why did I miss it other than the idiot principle is working against me again.

Anyways, thanks a million for your helpful responses. This confirms my assumption on how to go about it. Just needed a path to follow.

David

Edited by buick man (see edit history)