1928 1929 or 1930 marmon frame??? help!

Guest 1927 buickjoe

Guest 1927 buickjoe

hi I resently went out in the desert looking around for lost stuff and off roading and haveing a good ol time and i came across a frame in the middle of nowhere so i looked at it and and new it was late 20s early 30s because of the delco remy lovejoy shocks on it and that they dont have any part numbers on them, that means that the shocks were made between 28 and 30. and what also cought my eye was how the leaf springs mounted. (looked really cool to me) so me being a hot rodder guy and also being a guy who appreciates restored cars I thought that this might be something to drag home and mabe use in my 27 buick build Im doing. so I did. so i did some research and i came up with it being a marmon frame based off of how the springs mount and the spanner bar in the front. and the years of the shocks fit into the right time. so my question is there is a number on the cross member and on the back passanger frame rail that match and reads E2RC42. can anyone help? and is this worth much $$$ as just a frame?

It also has a spare tire carrier on it with the maker being jaxon steel company

Guest kaycee

Hi BuickJoe,

My '27 Little 8 Marmon has Lovejoy shocks on it ( original), and the springs, front and rear are mounted in rubber cushions rather than the typical shackles, so you may have a '27. I do'nt need it but someone may. Measure the frame and springs and wheelbase if possible and send a picture if you can. You may want to go into the Marmon Club website and advertise there.

:) kaycee

Guest kaycee

Another comment,

I'll check my car and extra chassis in the next few days to see if any i.d. numbers you gave are '27 Little 8.

Guest kaycee

Buick Joe,

I forgot to mention, I have a nice set of headlights (less lenses), excellent steering wheel, and some engine and other parts from a '27 Buick Standard parts car I had,all in great condition. 'Will sell reasonably.

Guest 1927 buickjoe

thanks for the info kaycee. i will get you a picture and measurments as soon a I can. i do really like the style and look of the frame. I am tossing the idea around about useing it because i really like how the springs mount. my one question is where could I get new rubber cups for the end of the leaf springs to sit in?have any ideas? Also the one part im looking for is a buick grill shell the one i have need lots of work so Im open to others that need less.

Guest kaycee

Hi Buick Joe,

'Sorry, I can't help tou with the radiator shell. Do you have a '27 Standard or Master series?

I'll try to get back to you tomorrow on the i.d. of your frame. The rubber spring mounts can be bought from Steele Rubber, but you're talking probably

$350 to 450 last I checked.

Guest 1927 buickjoe

My buick is a Master series, and i checked on the price of those rubber mounts and there 574.95 a set! ouch!!! I am going to try to make some out of polyurethane with in the next couple of weeks. So we will see how that goes and if they are successful then Its a 100% go that I will be useing it. the more and more i look at it the more I like it! wish I had a actual Marmon myself

Guest kaycee

Hi Joe,

I had a hunch that Steele's prices went up, but thats HIGH. Let me know how you make out with the poly. Thanks.

Guest kaycee

Hi Joe,

'Finally getting back to you. Can you give me the location and measurement on the frame of the number you found on the right rear frame ? I've got my extra chassis all 'wrapped up', and do'nt want to unwrap everything. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I looked at the Marmon Directory and the car might have been a Marmon 68. Probably 1928, possibly 1929. Those models have same kind of serial number: first a letter 'E' and digit '2', then two letters and then two digits, for example E2-NN-99. Just like that number on that frame, E2RC42, but with dashes.

-- Jyrki