17 DB Clutch

Guest Darracq

Guest Darracq

Took the pan off the engine today to fix the oil float that sunk. Lots of clutch linings fell out from under the flywheel. Guess thats why the clutch was slipping a bit.

So is it easier to take the motor out? or the transmission off? to get to the clutch assembly.

It's a 17 touring body car with a multiplate clutch and the aluminium transmission casing.

Thanks, Dave

Guest doberman

in the last 2 years I did an off frame on a 17db touring when I got it

the frame was done and the tranny was already in it. I rebuilt the engine

and instaled it along with the rest of clutch inards. I didnt take this baby

apart and wasnt sure what the old girl was going to look like much less

HOW to put it together. But with the help of some great guys on this site

im about done with it. As to the question you asked. I personaly dont know whitch way would be the easy way to go. But I dont want to have to do It

again any time soon. Good luck with yours and im sure some one will chime

in with the right answer. alan

I haven't tried this yet, but my neighbor's '20 got a clutch a few years ago. The rear end had to be pulled back to disengage the drive shaft, then the trans pulled. While you are asking about clutches, mind if I ask if anyone has any pointers on clutch adjustment for a '17? It has LOTS of free play. Book of Information sounds a bit confuseing.

Edited by nearchoclatetown (see edit history)

29 its much easier to pull the driveshaft wooden floorboards and then tranny, on any car I have worked on that is the only way to go, not sure why anyone might think it easier to pull the motor.

1930, the earlier cars all had closed drivelines. One either has to pull the engine or the rearend and tranny. In a 17-23 I would pull the rear end and transmission as the rear motor mount stays in the frame and you can slip a couple bolts back into that to hold the engine in place. Pull the shifter and park brake lever off as well, makes it easier to move around.