'89 No Start

Joe47

I went to see an '89 w/ the 2.2L for sale, close to home. Original owner with alot of paper work from all the past years. It looks like it may be worth buying. Problem is it won't start unless you boost it. Car runs after the boost, shut it off and it won't start again. No click no nothing when you turn the key. Battery is brand new and charging system is putting out 13.8v when running. The car has been seviced by mechanics and most recently besides the battery the bill indicates that the "electrical distributer pickup dual pigtail for Turbo" was replaced. Was that the hall-effect [sic?] plate ? Any opinions out there? Owner is distressed . She has alot of sad stories about mechanics working on this car. Joe47

Kind of sounds like high resistance in the wiring from battery to starter if it takes a jump to start from a fully charged battery. What is the voltage at the battery when you try to start without a jump? Could also be a bad 'new battery' that needs to be checked under load for a bad cell.

Guest My TC Toy

I agree. if the car starts with a boost it sounds like the car is ok. It could be a dud battery. Have a load test performed on the battery, I think you will find it will fail. Any parts shop should be able to do a test. If you cannot get to a shop check the PH of the electrolite. If one or more cells are a lot lower than the others, you have found the culprit.

Guest StudeDude 01

Joe----check those battery cables and the cable terminals. The cables may look OK on the outside but may be green with corrosion on the inside. Cut the insulation back on each a bit and see what's going on.

Thanks guys for all the replies. What I found out so far....the battery is bad. Removed it and had a load test at Auto Zone. Looked at the wiring around the battery when I removed it and all looks good. Since I don't own the car, its slow going to do more tests. With a new battery I'm going to look for some shorts or grounds. I suspect there is a heavy drain on the system killing the battery. Joe