Sign in to follow this  
Mssr. Bwatoe

40 Continental Fuel / Electrical

Ok, so you clicked and wonder where I am going with this one........My Zefferist associate JDB, aka "Mr Zephyr" has a nice original 40 cab....parked by early owner in '56. Car is unaltered..This car has a black wire protruding from the frame in the same place that the fuel line exits the frame...perfect for electric pump connection.......Yes I know what you are thinking....I bought my harness's from Ed & Miki back in 75, and my harness was equipped with a wire to power electic fuel pump...way cool..

Question.....why would this original car, have any wire exiting under car at tank....The sender hooked up..on top and functions..all light harness's are together...accessories???? Trailer light tap????

I have a fuel pump for emergency hot weather occasional use...I am ashamed

to admit this mod...but it is the cats a'''' push button..pump kicks on engine smooths ..turn off......

WELLLLLLLLLLLLL C'MON PEECH, BILL, PHIL...MURPH...Y'ALL BEEN MESSIN WITH THESE

CARS LONGER THAN IVE BEEN ALIVE!! ANY IDEAS??

Jeff, I suspect that that "black" wire was installed when the electric fuel pump was installed. It's not "original" as the insulation would indicate. It was probably threaded thru the frame for protection? there's no "bulge" where it seemingly exits the wire harness. What does that "black" wire attach to on the other end? Maybe a non-period ( 1940) switch?

ok, I started this, posing the question to mssr bwatoe - picture below is of my original 40 with the original harness in it, no doubt the one that it left the factory with no add ons. While inspecting the car the other day I noticed this lone wire with a connector on it - no idea why it is there - as Jeff said, the gas

gage is already hooked up and working....what would this be for? late 40 car,

is this for the eventual changeover to electric top in 41? Mark, your car is three body numbers away from mine - maybe you have this wire too? makes little sense to me.

post-67972-143138265735_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim Zephyr (see edit history)

Gentleman, my lincoln is 342 and I believe my car has that wire as well but I will double check.

Hey Jim,

I don't think that has anything to do with the top for the 41 as that is a seprate harness that runs from the switch on the dash, under the carpet along the tunnel and to the motors.

Now my 41 has a trunk light controlled by an off and on switch, however I dont remember if this was part of the the tailight harness or not.

Tom

Thanks Tom trunk light is making more sense - figured the route to the top motors would stay inside the car. The most expensive Ford offering for 1940 did not have a trunk light to my knowledge!

Jim,

The light in my trunk is just a small gizmo that is tucked up and under the trunk, sort of under where the right front trunk hinge would be. It has just a simple slide switch to turn it on and off. It would be easy to miss it if the trunk carpet was loose. Maybe Mr Murph can chime in as to if the 40 has one or not.

Tom

Very nifty Tom! guess I had forgoten that there was ever a light in there, but it is just as you describe and with the running lights on I slid the switch and it lights up! So that being said we still do not know what the spare wire with the rubber connector attached to it does -

Tom, YUP all 40 thru 48 Cabriolets have them. Light socket 06H 13630. It appears that standard Lincolns and Zephyrs used them in more than one model. Zephyrs prior to 1940 used socket # H 77254 for first 1100 cars and then replaced it thereafter with part #06H 13630.

OK,,,I am not sure how that switch should be wired, and a good safety would be for it to be wired into the tail lights so one wouldnt walk away and leave it on. However it seems to me that it would be wired so it could be turned on without the running lights on. Is that wire hot with the ignition off Jim?

Tom

On My 41 Continental the Trunk Light is tied into the Dome Light Switch ..When You turn on the dome light the trunk light also comes on. Don't know if that is correct ..the wire to the Trunk Light is Color Coded Black with a Light Gray Stripe (or it might have been White originally) ..

Edited by notnow (see edit history)

My '40 LZ has a trunk light and it is wired from the dome light - when the dome light is turned on, the trunk light comes on. The wire is in the right side of the body above the doors and the trunk light is near the right side trunk hinge.

Norm

Bwatoe and jim,

Just a guess ,but my original harness had a body lug on the chassis harness to power

the rear cigar lighters. It exited the chassis harness just in front of the axle and went thru a grommet in the floor board under the rear seat.

????????

Dennis

I am gonna see if it is hot...a lighter feed is hot always..I never hooked mine up and while

I may take up smoking, LSMFT, I would probably have a zippo.....but others have suggested that in this accessory laden era we live in, to wire a transducer to allow a 12 volt feed to lighters for various phones..players etc....isolated from vehicle gound etc..

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,,

I get the 41 back with new wiring installed and guess what is hanging down on the left rear side by the shock. Yup, that same female connector. The mystery continues....

Tom

Hey Tom, that is what makes it interesting...the wire on your car is for an electric fuel pump, which you really should add for touring emergency..it is so popular, the harness is modified to have that wire added. You will find the "other end' at the dash ignition switch !! I installed a 6 volt pump there, with a small switch to activate pump... Pump is good for easy starts after

sitting ...or for that 100 degree day....I did not need mine too much this summer, but it is

nice to know it is there...(judges cant see it under car, inside framerail)