'28 master six water pump leaking bad

Guest wrennch

Guest wrennch

My water pump leaks very bad right where the shaft goes into the pump housing. I was wonder if there is a seal in there that can be replaced or if im going to have to buy a new water pump (the pump on it looks brand new)?

Thanks

Don't know about the '28 , but my 1929 pump has a big brass nut over the shaft that screws into the housing to expand the packing gland inside the shaft housing.

If it's got one try turning it half a turn at a time clockwise only until the dripping stops. Compressing it too tight will put undue pressure on the shaft causing it to wear out prematurely and could cause problems down the line eg. cam timing cog.

Has the pump got a grease fitting attached ? If so, pump some grease into it.

You can remove the old packing and inspect the shaft for pitting corrosion that usually causes the packing to wear prematurely. As Rooster said, if the shaft is corroded, it will need to be replaced. But you can try to smooth out the shaft and re-pack the gland with graphoil impregnated packing for best results. Also, try using a small amount of waterproof grease (the type used for boat trailer bearings) to help lubricate the packing.

Good luck,