Sign in to follow this  
bofusmosby

'37 Pontiac fuel pump replacement

Well, yesterday I noticed that my fuel pump was leaking. The previous owner had told me that he never did anything to the fuel pump (original), so a couple of months ago I went a purchased an old rebuilt fuel pump just in case. The trouble is, because this was rebuilt years ago, I know that it may not last long, but I figured I'd install this rebuilt one, and while using that one, I'd rebuild the original.

Is there any way that the replacement fuel pump can be checked before it is installed? I know that the fuel pump is dealing with a liquid, so I doubt I would feel any vacuum just with air (which I don't). This is the combination fuel/vacuum pump just like the original.

Are there any tips you can give me on replacing this? I've got a new mounting gasket, and the correct RVT gasket stuff, and the thread-sealer for the gas line fittings. I know all about removing the old gasket from the motor, and cleaning the mounting area before installing the replacement pump. Is there anything I need to watch out for on this install?

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated, and thank you!

If the fuel pump does not have the new diaphram material, you are wasting your time putting it on the car. The new gas will eat it up in about 3 tank fulls. Try this guy for a rebuild or kit.

Antique Auto Parts Cellar

Well, I never replaced it. The replacement put did NOT pump, so forget it. Thank you vor the link. I might give them a call.