wildcat1562

car fell on me last sunday

On July 28, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Dandy Dave said:

If someone has the room, and a good place to anchor it, a lift is the way to go.

I know you were referring to the 4-post lift, but I just have to throw 2 cents in on 2-post lifts - especially with the X-frame.  I have a substantial Mohawk 2-post, but it grabs the frame near the centerline of the car.  Even accounting for that, if I'm getting frisky under there, the nose is a little heavier and can start rocking.  Two tons at 6 feet up is a lot of potential energy.

I bought two of the tall vertical jack stands, and I think I'm going to buy two more.  They're like motorcycle helmets - they seem expensive when you're buying them, but so cheap when you're really using them!

Just to add:  the brake lines don't look like that anymore!

DSC02321.JPG

Edited by RoadShark (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Im very glad your here to tell your tale, but can I chip in to buy you a set of heavy duty jack stands so it doesnt happen again?

This is a good warning story and just because you have been ok doing something in the past doesnt mean its ok to keep doing it. Sooner or later the hands of fate catches up with you. Blocks arent a good way to hold up a car especially if your working on it and pulling a wrench and its moving around. I think your even luckier than you believe you are.

Please be safe everyone!!!!!!

Wildcat, glad you're here hoping for speedy recovery. Thank all for tips. Here using 4 steel HD jack stand (I hope, made in China) in a two car garage level floor, no room for 4 post lift. Will make sure I do a walk around before crawling. 

On 7/19/2017 at 6:02 AM, DarthNocturnal said:

I also had my car fall on me with my front tires off...it rolled off the scissor stand as if someone pushed it yet no one was near the car...by the grace of God I'm alive I had 2 broken legs and my sternum and 3 ribs on my left side where broken...it took 6  ppl to lift the car enough for me to drag my own broken body out from under it..it's been 1 month and I'm still in pain and dealing with my injuries.....pls pls use proper stands and secondary fall support...

This was posted July 19th. Dandy Dave!