car fell on me last sunday

wildcat1562

i had a life altering accident last sunday and i am here to tell you about it

i have been under cars 1000s of times

i worked as a yard man for a salvage yard even

and never had this happen

make sure, double check that the car can not have any faults while it is up off the ground

my wife's 52 buick came down on me and crushed my chest and arms

i do not know how i am here, or how i got out from under the car, the officers that came said i called and they found me by the phone in the house

they flight for lifed me to green bay where i stayed for a bit, but am out and trying to deal with it now

i will be ok, just very brusied and battered, and everything seems to be all cracked across my chest

we all know that God mst have had me in his hands again and that is why i am here to say

please for Gods sack and for our family's, make sure the car is right before going under it

this will be a bit for me to get threw but i will

thank you

God keep you all safe

Greg

Guest amberlmansfield

Wow... I'm glad you're safe and sound! Sorry to hear about that, that really is horrible. My father had an incident similar. He's a mechanic and has been around cars his whole life. He crawled underneath my mom's old Shadow and kept getting a bad feeling about it. Finally he slid out and no sooner then his head came out from under that car it came crashing down. Everyone needs to be careful doing those things. Me personally, I will never crawl under a car that isn't firmly on the ground or on a 4 post hydraulic lift because of that story. Again, I am glad to know you're okay.

God bless you and stay safe,

Amber Mansfield

God was watching over you! A scary story and you were very lucky. I am under one of my cars most every day and often think about this very senerio. I know that I will be much more careful in the future.

I pray that the recovery goes well and quickly!

Gary

what the car was blocked up on and always is for years

is i have cut oak blocks that stack on each other for the hight i would have the car

i took a walk down in the garage, and it looks like a very scary thing the way they all look

some how the car twisted and came off them all

thank God i had the tires on it yet

and some how one of the blocks are jambed under the right side rocker panel standing upright, it must have went with the car and righted itself and that is the one that saved me

it is holding the car up right besides where i was under the car

i do not know how or why it happened, or how or why that block is there, it looks like someone put it in there,

again i think God kept me around for my family and friends

i have boughted cancer for 13 years

i have reconstruked my spine where the cancer ate me up

they cut me open so many times to remove the cancer i lots count,

i have a false knee at age 46 because the cancer got me there as well

i could go on and on

but God has me

he owns me at this point

he has blessed me with the act of opening my eyes every day and sucking in some air to be here

this one scares the crap out of me when i went down there and looked

how do you get from working on a car

and then in the house where they find you

without his help

i can only pray he takes me in when its time

thanks for the prayers and thoughts

Greg

OK Buick People:

Has any one ever been late to an appointment?

Has any one ever been in a hurry to do something?

Has any one thought that they had the situation under control?

Has any one ever scarffed down their food?

Answer, ..............me.

Solution.............I need to take my time and re assure myself that the task at hand will be under control. I recently did a load of laundry. When it was done I opened the lid and wham, stuck my hand in the tub to retrieve the wet clean clothes. Of course I was in an extreme hurry and stuck my hand in so fast that my finger nail got caught in one of the drain holes and it almost tore it off.

I need to take my time and make sure I don't make mistakes. Take my time and think things out. Not have a rocket in my pocket and just do like it's automatically turn out ok. Mitch

The price of some proper steel jack stands is well worth the insurance. Blocks can be eaten by termites if they have been sitting for years. Sometimes they can swell with mosture getting them out of square, even through concrete. I've got one kicking aroud here somewhere that is curved on one side making it unstable and you know that when it went though the sawmill it was square. You are one lucky feller to get out alive. I never block an automobile with blocks, especially if I have to climb under it. And Never, Ever, EVER use Concrete Blocks. They can crumble in an instant. Dandy Dave!

Guest sintid58

I just bought a pair of 6 ton jack stands from Mac's here in Sioux Falls for $33 for the pair. Pretty cheap insurance I guess. I have had one set for years but wanted to get the whole Skylark up in the air while working on the brake and fuel lines and with a 3 ton jack I can get it up enough to roll end to end on the creeper.

Guest ahhh65riv

Slanted driveways (unlevel) scare the CRAP out of me! Even with proper jack stands, I have had close calls! You know your in trouble when you are under the car, when the floor jack (under the back axle) rolls as the jack stands (under the front axle) tip over and the car rolls down and no brakes to hold it! God was smiling at me that day too!

Erik

2 ton of car 18" above the ground on 4 stands is a thing of the past for me.......been there done that and hated it every time I slid under there :(

That's why I've finally (after a long wait) got my 4 post hoist up and running!

Yahoo!! :D:D

post-41557-143138263803_thumb.jpg

2 ton of car 18" above the ground on 4 stands is a thing of the past for me.......been there done that and hated it every time I slid under there :(

That's why I've finally (after a long wait) got my 4 post hoist up and running!

Yahoo!! :D:D

If someone has the room, and a good place to anchor it, a lift is the way to go.

I find that if you are not worried about a few dents and scratches. Rolling it over with a backhoe is second best. ;) LOL... :D Dandy Dave!

every once in a while we hear about a person being killed by a car falling on them. unlevel floor, cement blocks are 2 big dangers. nevr ever use cement blocks. not made to hold the weight and do an instant cave in with no warning while one is under the car. If the ground is not level you have to shim under one end of the jack stand with plywood to make the stand go straight up and down. I have seen cars on slanted stands suddenly decide to roll the stand over in the direction they lean.

Guest cardinal905

Blocks or getting under a car on unlevel ground is a death wish. Even with quality jack stands and brake set I always give her a good shake to know it is safe. No more of that though, I too have put in a lift.

Guest tom pre

greg congratulations'. i dont know you, but wish you the best in your recovery. take care, get well, & lets not do this again. good luck' tom

thank you everyone for the prayers and well wishes,

my son has named the car cristen 2 now and it fits, never had a car fight me so much,

my chest is very brusied and still not out, they said it might look like that the rest of my life?

and i do have some ribs broke under my right colar bone, but not the colar bone that is ok

my heart is good they said but my lungs are brusied bad and will take some time along with the arms and the mental part of it,

i am not going to rush into anything and go down there for awhile, i couldn't do anything anyways

but i am doing ok now

thank you

Greg

• 6 years later...
Guest DarthNocturnal

I also had my car fall on me with my front tires off...it rolled off the scissor stand as if someone pushed it yet no one was near the car...by the grace of God I'm alive I had 2 broken legs and my sternum and 3 ribs on my left side where broken...it took 6  ppl to lift the car enough for me to drag my own broken body out from under it..it's been 1 month and I'm still in pain and dealing with my injuries.....pls pls use proper stands and secondary fall support...

5 hours ago, DarthNocturnal said:

I also had my car fall on me with my front tires off...it rolled off the scissor stand as if someone pushed it yet no one was near the car...by the grace of God I'm alive I had 2 broken legs and my sternum and 3 ribs on my left side where broken...it took 6  ppl to lift the car enough for me to drag my own broken body out from under it..it's been 1 month and I'm still in pain and dealing with my injuries.....pls pls use proper stands and secondary fall support...

Oh man!  The older I get, the less willing I am to go underneath the cars.  It is good to hear that you are alive, and I wish you much less pain.  Also practice chocking the wheels that remain on the ground, after setting vehicles on the jack stands. 

On July 28, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Dandy Dave said:

If someone has the room, and a good place to anchor it, a lift is the way to go.

I know you were referring to the 4-post lift, but I just have to throw 2 cents in on 2-post lifts - especially with the X-frame.  I have a substantial Mohawk 2-post, but it grabs the frame near the centerline of the car.  Even accounting for that, if I'm getting frisky under there, the nose is a little heavier and can start rocking.  Two tons at 6 feet up is a lot of potential energy.

I bought two of the tall vertical jack stands, and I think I'm going to buy two more.  They're like motorcycle helmets - they seem expensive when you're buying them, but so cheap when you're really using them!

Just to add:  the brake lines don't look like that anymore!

DSC02321.JPG

Edited by RoadShark (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Im very glad your here to tell your tale, but can I chip in to buy you a set of heavy duty jack stands so it doesnt happen again?

This is a good warning story and just because you have been ok doing something in the past doesnt mean its ok to keep doing it. Sooner or later the hands of fate catches up with you. Blocks arent a good way to hold up a car especially if your working on it and pulling a wrench and its moving around. I think your even luckier than you believe you are.

Please be safe everyone!!!!!!

Wildcat, glad you're here hoping for speedy recovery. Thank all for tips. Here using 4 steel HD jack stand (I hope, made in China) in a two car garage level floor, no room for 4 post lift. Will make sure I do a walk around before crawling. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2017 at 6:02 AM, DarthNocturnal said:

This was posted July 19th. Dandy Dave!