Need help find chassis number on Chevrolet

Guest hakuuu

Guest hakuuu

Hi

I need to find the chassis number on a 1929 and 1931 Chevy coupe. Does anyone know? I looked on the frame rails in front of cowl on top and sides.

Guest hakuuu

Yeah they did, but the body is a 31 and the chassis is a 29 and the title is based off the chassis number. I just want to find it and compare it to the title.

Thanks

Guest De Soto Frank

The vehicle serial number was stamped into a zinc or aluminum tag that was nailed at the four corners to the wooden body sill on the passenger front door.

The metal rocker panel is relieved around the plate.

It is common for these plates to decompose or otherwise disappear, particularly if the sill has rotted.

To my knowledge, the serial number is NOT stamped into the main frame rails or other permanent parts of the car.

Check on the Forum at the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America ( VCCA); those guys know their early Chevy sixes, especially a fellow named Skip Geer.

Some states titled these vehicles on the engine number, if that makes your situation any better.

Good luck !

Guest hakuuu

Thanks I bought the car from a dealer and it came with a title from 1962 and on that title they said they used the chassis number to title and register it in 1962. The motor number is different. The 31 body does have the cowl tag which is different. But since I bought the car from a dealer they are respondsible for the VIN verification. I want to find the number that they used so that when I get the new title from DMV, I'm planning on trying to correct the title to a 1931 Sport coupe based off the cowl tag. The dealer is trying to work with me on it. Just hoping to find it the easy way. I had a 1933 and 1938 Plymouths and I found the chassis number on the frame rails over the rear axle.

Thanks again

Guest De Soto Frank

Cowl tag does NOT have the serial number !!!!!

It has the a "Body Number" and a "Job Number".

( Am going though this issue with Dad's '30 Special Sedan )

Ask the folks at VCCA.

In the meantime, check out Bill Barker's excellent '31 Chevy site (warning - site has sound embedded, you might want to hit your mute button first...):

http://1931chevrolet.com/specs6.htm

Edited by De Soto Frank (see edit history)