59-64 Olds rocket spin on oil filter adapter block

d2_willys

I can't really speak for what pre-1960 Olds adapters looked like, but the pre-1968 Chevrolet aftermarket part bolted in place of the cartridge and had a square-cut O-ring same as the cartridge canister. Rick, is this the type you have on your 56?

The 60-64 Olds piece is cast metal and bolts to the block on a machined pad instead of just replacing the cartridge mount. It uses a flat stamped gasket between adapter and block and has a supply and return port that route oil thru filter and back to engine.

I realise I'm not explaining it very well. I can picture it in my mind, but putting into words so someone else can visualise it is different.

On that Chevy piece- I had a 60 and 67 Chevy with 283s, and after the first couple of messy oil changes (and actually losing all the freshly changed oil on the 60 due to a misaligned o-ring) I got those spin on adapters real quick.

Rocketraider - The adapter I put on contained a gasket that went in the canister opening. Then a aliuminum plate with a threaded shaft to accept the modern spin on filters. Sounds like what you put on. Sure makes the oil changes a lot easier. Thanks for your information.

Rick