Tips for building 292 Y-block

Guest hutz

I have a 1962 F100 4X4 and I am removing the engine next week. Runs good, has 57,000 miles on it and is a little tired. I have built 302's and 289's but not a 292. Wondering if anyone had any tips on does and don'ts on getting good horsepower and torque out of this engine. Any tips would be very appreciated.

There was a real good story in one of the hot rod magazines about 10 years ago. They did a series on building "nostalgia" engines and the Y block was one of them.

The engine was rather touchy to rebuild. It needed a lot of remedial machine work to true it up. It is not recommended to mill the heads very much, any more than a light cut can make them too thin over the combustion chamber and lead to cracking.

The rods are soft and easy to bend, you have to be careful when straightening them not to overdo it. The rebuilder also said they hone like butter so you have to go easy.

All the Y blocks had mushroom shape solid lifters that go in from underneath before the cam goes in. They also had a rather poor way of oiling the rocker arms, the oil passages tend to either leak or plug up. It pays to check the head surface and block deck carefully and if the oil passage does not line up, grind it a little with a Dremel tool.

There were other details too, Possibly one of the old time Ford parts houses sells a rebuild manual.

If I can find the magazine or remember which one it was, I will let you know.

I went though a 272, which is very similer to the 292, a number of years ago that I got out of a 1958-59 Ford dump truck. When I pulled the heads, I was glad that I did not try to turn it over with the starter first as one of the valve heads was laying on top of a piston. Must have poped off while it was sitting at there was no dammage to the piston, head or cylinder. I did a valve job on it and put it in my 1962 ford F-250. Runs Great and still plows a little yard snow from time to time. If memory serves me right, there is one head bolt on each side that carries oil up to the rockers. Make sure you put it back in the right hole. Dandy Dave!

Thanks for the info. I am planning on replacing the rods and having the machine work done by a guy who has done a few in the past. I will let him know what you told me though. I want it to run pretty strong so I will let you know how it turns out.

Thankyou

Hutz

I've always heard that a good 4bbl intake, 312 heads and 312 cam really wake up a 292. I never got to try it, my buddy who had one swapped it out for a 390. There are some guys out there that know everything about these motors and can make them SCREAM!!!

Good luck