lights will not go off

Guest dwr

MY HEADLIGHTS ON MY 88 REATTA WILL NOT GO OFF - IF I PULL THE 20 AMP CIGARETTE LIGHTER FUSE THEY GO OFF - THE LIGHTS OFF PUSH BUTTON DOES NOT TURN OFF THE HEADLAMPS BUT IT TURNS OFF THE PARKING LIGHTS

Please add the model of your Reatta, (and any other relative information), to your signature line or include it with all your questions. It will make it easier for us to help answer your questions without repeatedly asking you about the specific model you own.

Click "User CP" in the menu at the top of this page and scroll down to "Edit Signature"

Thanks!

Guest Mc_Reatta

Worn out headlight module. When mine get to that point, I bend my finger to yield a sharp knuckle and smack the off switch button with a sharp poke. That works for a while. I put up with it until it won't turn off that way, my knuckle hurts too much to continue, or I find a good replacement switch and replace.

You can take your switch apart, and try to build up the height of the actuator under the off button. That works for a while too. What you have is mechanical wear not an electrical contact problem yet.

If it is an '88 or '89 model you might be able to clean it per Howard's instructions (can be found on this forum) with WD-40. I cleaned mine 4 years ago and it has worked good since. I don't have the instructions on my website because I'm afraid someone might not unhook the battery cable while cleaning the switch and catch the car on fire.

Basically you put a towel or something down to protect the carpet in case of drips and spray WD-40 beside the buttons while pushing the buttons. Flattening the tip of the little red plastic spray tube helps get the nozzle between the buttons and the switch housing. Worked for me... YMMV.

I would use tuner lubricant/cleaner from the Rat Shack. Do not have much use for WD-40, it tends to gum things when it dries.

Aside from the tuner/lube, I keep Kroil and PB Blaster for penetrants and spray white grease when just need a lube.

P.