How to be Apprentice Judge

MochetVelo

I don't know if you can register before hand or not. If so, I would think that calling Headquarters, they could tell you how to do it.

Otherwise,

You attend a Judging School, tell them you want to be an apprentice, pay for the judges breakfast, show up for the judges breakfast... and you will find yourself assigned to the apprentice team for that meet.

• 2 weeks later...

I just filled out the online application for Hershey. It asked what classes I would like to judge. Hmmm.

I put down mid-year Corvettes, GTOs, Mustangs and Chevelles because those are the vehicles that I am most familiar with, but I checked the block saying I'd go wherever they'd like me.

I hope they let me know in advance what class or classes they will assign me, so that I can read up on the vehicles ahead of time.

This will be my first time judging. I attended the school a couple of times at the February meet, and have read the judging guide cover to cover several times as well as been on the "other" side of the fence...but I want to be prepared.

I figure the apprentice is the dude that gets selected to go down on one knee and take a peek at the wheelwells and undercarriage, as well as carry backup pens, pencils, forms and other items for the rest of the team.

I wonder about hazing. Will the chief judge send me for some spray squelch to stop the squeal on a vehicle radio? Will they have me running around for a bubble pump to replace the bubble in his level in case he wants to measure ride height? Will they shave my silvery locks like the Executive Director?

I suppose I will have to see!

I just filled out the online application for Hershey. It asked what classes I would like to judge. Hmmm.

I put down mid-year Corvettes, GTOs, Mustangs and Chevelles because those are the vehicles that I am most familiar with, but I checked the block saying I'd go wherever they'd like me.

If there are classes that you would feel more comfortable judging in then it is best to list them. I actually send in six choices each time rather than just the four.

I hope they let me know in advance what class or classes they will assign me, so that I can read up on the vehicles ahead of time.

At this point they do not tell us in advance what class(es) we are judging or if we are the Team Captain or a Field Judge. We find out on the morning of the meet.

This will be my first time judging. I attended the school a couple of times at the February meet, and have read the judging guide cover to cover several times as well as been on the "other" side of the fence...but I want to be prepared.

If you have not been on an apprentice team you will need to do that before you actually field judge per the 2010 Judging Guidelines.

B. PROCEDURE FOR BECOMI NG AN

AACA NATIONAL JUDGE

Every AACA member is invited to join the judging

ranks. First timers should:

1. Determine if an AACA National Judging

School will be held at the next National

Meet he/she plans to attend. If a school is to

be held, attend it and advise the Meet Chief

Judge that you wish to become a judge.

2. A new judge’s first “on-the-field” assignment

will be as a member of an apprentice

team. As such, he/she will be instructed

in judging

principles

and procedure, as

well as participating

in practice judging of

vehicles.

3. If a member cannot attend a school, or if

a school will not be held, the Chief Judge

should be contacted prior to the judges

breakfast

and advised of the member’s

desire to become

a judge. He/she will then

be placed on the apprentice team at that

meet. Both Judging school and apprentice

team must be attended prior to becoming

a field judge or administrator.

4. Judging Administration Team members

will follow the same procedures, as

detailed in Section 2 of these guidelines,

for becoming an AACA National Judge.

Eligibility must be maintained by adhering

to the procedures and responsibilities

detailed in these guidelines. Team members

are required to attend one (1) Judging

School and (1) CJE per year. Attending

an Apprentice Program can be substituted

for a CJE. Judging Administration Team

members presently serving in that capacity

are “grandfathered” due to length of

service and experience. Their eligibility

must be maintained by adhering to the

procedures and responsibilities detailed in

these guidelines.

I figure the apprentice is the dude that gets selected to go down on one knee and take a peek at the wheelwells and undercarriage, as well as carry backup pens, pencils, forms and other items for the rest of the team.

No that would be the person that is able to get down (and back up :eek: )to look at the chassis and is willing to do so. :rolleyes:

I wonder about hazing. Will the chief judge send me for some spray squelch to stop the squeal on a vehicle radio? Will they have me running around for a bubble pump to replace the bubble in his level in case he wants to measure ride height?

Not if anyone is looking. :D

Will they shave my silvery locks like the Executive Director?

Only our cherished Ex. Dir. has been brave enough to agree to that....so far. :cool:

I suppose I will have to see!

We'll be nice to you, I swear. :P

Edited by Shop Rat
Correct at type-o. (see edit history)

Guest windjamer

:DGraycav,welcome aboard,Shoprat gave yuo ex.advice.Remember to make the class thur. at Hershey,and tell someone you need to apprentist. Sat.at the b/fast when you get your assignment,IF you are assigned engine compartments, remember to ask the team Capt for the key to the hydrostatic lock.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I had a GREAT time on Saturday.

I went to the Judging Class on Wednesday at the Music Box which was cool. I introduced myself to the Chief Judge who had me go to the tent afterwards to make sure I was registered, and I was. He also gave me my parking permit at that time.

I left the house early and had no trouble making it to the breakfast. The guides and parking arrangements are first class. I was able to get by the registration table quickly and had a SUPER meal. I was pleasantly surprised (the first of several times that day) to see an official Judge's hat, even for the apprentice table. Nice touch.

We had a quite large group of newbies and it had a wide spread of ages, gender and experience level. Our instructors were really good and had us mock judge three vehicles. The first was a DPC car, a 1940 Buick. Of course, that car would NOT be point judged, but our instructor wanted us to see a car that "would" need a good deal of work to gain enough points. It was interesting to see the somewhat wide variety of scores the group gave the car. The instructor used that range to reinforce how we, in AACA judge a car, and the process used to determine how many points from the perfect 400 you should consider for each fault.

The second car was an early Dodge that was on the regular showfield. This car obviously had fewer flaws. The discussion here turned to how a judge and team captain would identify things that may or may not be authentic, and how to adjudicate the issue (primarily by the Team Captain approaching the owner for documentation.)

The final car was a BEAUTIFUL late 60's Ford muscle car that I honestly could NOT find fault with. (We only did the exterior judging for the school, but even when I gazed at the interior and engine it was perfect). The instructor wanted to show us what a VERY high quality car looked like, and used this opportunity to make a few more points. First, that over restoration does NOT mean a deduction, but it doesn't get EXTRA credit and second, not to be awe struck if the vehicle in question already won a Senior Grand National Award. The vehicle may have been retired by the show circuit or modified since that time.

Overall a STUPENDOUS day and I look forward to actually being a member of a field judging team in 2011!

Thanks to everybody on the forum who gave me hints and tips.

Tony