Third brake light out

Guest 89Reatta

Guest 89Reatta

Hi, need some assistance! I have a light out on my 3rd (high) brake light. What is the best way to get to the bulbs? Thought I would ask here before spending alot of frustration and time guessing how to do it in my very hot garage.

Thanks in advance,

Cody

89 Reatta

the best way is probably to remove the plastic pieces around the pass-through door to the trunk. I'm not sure which way they over-lap, and I'm not able to look at mine at the time, but I'm pretty sure you can just take the part directly above the door off after you unscrew the screws for the anchor there. It should just pull off. once you pull it off, there should be 3 to 5 plastic screw looking things that go into holes behind the panel. Be sure not to loose these. Once you get the panel off, you should be able to get to the bulbs from there. :) Let us know how you make out!!

• Like 1

Guest mgibson

I an assuming your Reatta is a coupe. Open the trunk access door behind the seats. This will give you better access to the center panel covering the brake light. Remove two screws holding the center tether strap anchor. Grasp the center panel firmly and pull forward. This will reveal the center brake light and replacing the bulbs should be easy now. I recommend replacing all bulbs (three, I think) and cleaning while you have it apart.

Guest steveskyhawk

If you are planning on tinting the rear window I would take the car to the tint shop with these panels removed. It makes for an easier work around for the tinter and a neater job.

• 8 years later...

I changed the bulbs today- first had to take off 2 nuts under the trunk passage entry then had to carefully

pull off the panel straight out toward  the seats and after that it was fairly easy except it is a a cramped

space to work. Used Sylvania 1141 bulbs. In the picture the panel is propped up by a flashlight.

IMG_1982.JPG

IMG_1983.JPG

I recently changed mine (88 coupe).  I did not have to open the pass through at all.  Torx screws removed and housing simply pulls forward.  I used LED bulbs but cannot recall the size.  Your local auto parts counter person should be able to help you with the correct size.  Nice and bright now!