ford engine color

rons49

Guest windjamer

I might be wrong, but I dont think Ford ever used red or orange.The v/8 engine might have been black (Small block ) in mid 60 early 70, but Im pretty sure valve covers and air cleaner where not red/orange.

I saw a few colors in that chart that didn't seem correct to me.

However, Todd is correct. The 1964 289 engine did indeed have a black painted block with Red / Orange valve covers and air cleaner. As did the 170 -6 cylinder of that year. I'm not sure about the other 6 cylinders of 1964 without looking them up. And the 1964 Fairlane with the 260 V-8 and other mid-size models with that engine, did have a black block with Ford Light Blue covers and air cleaner. In 1966 they went to using the darker blue.

Guest De Soto Frank

Dad's '62 Galaxie with the 223 OHV Six had a red engine.

The '62 Galaxie 500 with the 292 V-8 had blue valve covers.

Mom's '62 Falcon with the 144 cid "economy" six had a blue valve cover.

My '62 Falcon with the 170 cid six had a red-orange valve cover.

Guest De Soto Frank

I question a few of the entries on the chart too... not sure all the air-cleaner colors are correct....

I think the reds on the Ford sixes are okay; don't remember red air cleaner on a '62 292 engine; ours was blue, and matched the valve-covers - original car.

And to throw another towel in this, the V-8 Falcons had gold air cleaners and valve covers in 63 1/2 and 64 and possibly 65 and one of my friends 64 Fairlane did too!! I also seem to remember some of the big-block cars from the early sixties having gold. All these also had black blocks and heads. There were actually advertisements in 1966 telling about Ford was going blue as their corporate color. John

Edited by John Byrd (see edit history)