driving you antique car after a stroke

Guest Good Old Days

Guest Good Old Days

Hi you all!

Does anyone of you have any experience with driving after you had a stroke with a paralysis on 1 side?:eek:

I had one in December, slowly start to walk again with a stick, but if driving is a possibility with or whitout adaptions to the car????

I think shifting gear will be a problem, not to forget the steering!

If any of you have an idea which I can use, it will help many other people too I hope:D I'm sure I'm not the only one with this....

BTW it's a big night mare ?(for a dedicated car collector and driver) but I'm still here!:cool:

Carine

A side note, when I first got in the hobby, and when I didn't even have a car, an older member of my local club mentored me. I drive him around to the car shows in his cars. His eyesight was a problem, and he couldn't drive at night at all. Worked out great for both of us!

(I miss ya Brooks!)

Carine,

I think it all depends on your age and recovery rate. I had my stroke in 1996, at age 59, so I am now about 14 years out. I had almost full left side paralysis, but made quite a good recovery.

Once recovery improved, the state did require a new driving test and including vision, as they worry about side vision and detached retena inside the eyes. The left side is still slightly impaired, especially when I am tired, but I am able to use the clutch on my '32 Buick as well as turning the steering wheel, which is quite a chore even on the small series Buicks.

The doctors say therapy works better with incentive, so I can thing of only one thing that does that more the returning to driving an antique car, and that other thing will remain a private matter (and that too may depend on age).

Best of luck with your recovery and I hope you have great family and friends for encouragement.

John

Carine,

I once had a DS-21 which had been converted to Citro-matic. It is the same transmission and clutch, but the controls are hydraukically controlled as you move the shift lever. Instead of the "H" pattern of a 4-speed on the column, it becomes a fingertip control, and my right hand never had to leave the steering wheel while shifting.

Your car can be converted, or you could find a comparable DS-21 Pallsas model.

I hope you have a rapid and full recovery.

In the meantime, mentor a young enthusiast, and have him, or her, drive you on the activities. The rewards are immeasurable.

Bon Chance !

I had one in December, slowly start to walk again with a stick, but if driving is a possibility with or whitout adaptions to the car????

Carine

Carine, we have missed you. Did not realize you had this health issue. Yes, as most members here will tell you, just having someone drive you around will strengthen your will to want to heal faster and drive your own car again.

Good luck and Welcome Back!!

Wayne

You may find a local rehab hospital that has a driving instructor. The one near me (Bryn Mawr Rehab in Malvern, PA) has two driving therapists. They also test drivers who have had health concerns to see if they are safe drivers. My father, who a condition similar to your's, took the test three times but finally passed!

Phil

My heartfelt wishes for your recovery and health. Probably your doctor would be the best source of advice. Do be safe as you recover though. The worst thing would be to endanger your safety or the safety of others as you recover. Best wishes.............Bob

Guest Good Old Days
Carine,

I think it all depends on your age and recovery rate.

Best of luck with your recovery and I hope you have great family and friends for encouragement.

John

Thanks John!I guess I just needed all these kind words from all of you! My age was 50 when I had it, due to a inherited vessel problem, so no escape even with a very good health! My bloodpressure was to low before ! Driving around with someone else popped my mind also, but my husband likes to work on the cars, but not to drive them! I'm having accupuncture treatment since a week and am able now to lift my left leg while I sit, so who knows !I will fight myself out my wheelchair and into my Studebaker! Straigt on!!:D

Will keep you posted along the time:)

Again thank you all for the very nice reactions!:o

Carine

Guest Good Old Days
Never forget all things like this take time. Healing can take time.You must do what you can and please be happy your alive

read my earlier posts in which I say I'm happy to have survived!:)

We have to do a driving test, so I won't be a danger on the road for others!

I do what I can to get back even if it takes time, no worry about that!

Carine

Carine, I too had wondered where the lady with the Citroen was. Hopefully you'll recover from this and be able to drive your magnificent cars again.

High blood pressure, diabetes, and stroke are all thru my dad's family, and though it all skipped him, it has landed on me. I hope I'll have the determination to drive again if I survive a stroke or heart attack.

Guest Good Old Days

:)Hi Rocketraider!

Nice you missed me! I missed being on this forum as well!

No high blood pressure and no diabetic at all! I just inherited a bad blood vessel from my mothers family!. Thanks to my good health and hart , thank God, I survived this, but now I'm on my way back to drive my old cars again.

Luckily my Citroen DS is an automatique! But first getting back my drivers lisense!

I do hope to enjoy every moment behind the steering wheel or on the front seat anyway, with someone else!:cool:

Carine

Carine,

As mentioned above, with Citroen's automatique "Citromatic", you have no clutch pedal and can control the 4-speed transmission without moving your right hand from the steering wheel; at least that is the way it was with our Pallas and break/Station wagon models.

good luck with your recovery,

Marty

Guest Good Old Days

Hi Marty!

We are the happy owners from two Citroen DS 23 Pallas, one full automatique Borg Warner and the other semi automatic known as hydraulique. The citromatic is the C-matic Citroen had in the 70/80 ies in the models GS(A) and CX2.4. This looks like a normal car but has no clutch! The DS version has no clutch and indeed you shift gear with a fingertip! You really have to get used to it to shift fluently and smooth! I like those very much!

I am paralyzed on the left side so I can drive these cars now with a little adaption for the left side controls. Lucky me!!!

It's my pre war cars I worry about.

But as someone said before here, it takes time to recover!:)

And with all your support I will manage and fight back to having fun with my cars! Thank you for all the friendly advice!:D

Carine

I know that othopedic rehab is different than what you are doing. But the best chance for as full of a recovery as possible is the same. Do the therapy the way they tell you to do it. Not more, not less. They give you a time line and intructions so that you don't over-do or under-do and set yourself back.

Patience and following doctor's/therapists orders pays off. :)

Guest Good Old Days
I know that othopedic rehab is different than what you are doing. But the best chance for as full of a recovery as possible is the same. Do the therapy the way they tell you to do it. Not more, not less. They give you a time line and intructions so that you don't over-do or under-do and set yourself back.

Patience and following doctor's/therapists orders pays off. :)

Yep, I know!

But the nice thing is I do a combination from things, the doctor with the needles does orthopedic rehab as well, plus I go 3 times a week to rehab and swimmingpool!:D

If you see where I stand now, I walk!, after them telling me never to be able to walk again, even my left arm is getting more strenght by the week! They told me not to exercise the arm anymore, not worth the trouble! Small mistake! :confused:

I exercise as much as I can, don't over do it, but keep having faith in my body/brain to repair things! Walking was such a victory!! But there will be more to come!

So, my advice don't listen to them folks, you know what is the best for your body and please do not give up! Read the book from Jill Bolte Taylor!:cool:

Your words carry me!

:oCarine

Medical personnel should not offer hope where there really is none to be had. But they also should not squash honest effort at doing better than hoped for. We all know of cases where remarkable recoveries have been made when doctors told people not to bother. Good doctors admit they don't know everything about how the human body can recover and repair and even retrain itself with the proper help. :)

While I agree and understand what you are saying shop rat, You also must understand that our litigious society has created a no win situation for many medical professionals. If they give too much hope and then can not produce the results, there is a lawyer standing in the wings ready to sue. From their point of view the best thing is to only promise dire results and be happy when the outcome is better. Carine has shown what I have always said....The human spirit can triumph over everything!! With faith and belief, there is nothing a determined person can not do. I have seen so many miracles in 25 years in EMS that I am convinced that you only need to believe strong enough to triumph. Congratulations on your strong will Carine. Continue to believe and work hard. Perhaps I will see you in your Citroen drive past me some day soon. Best wishes and I will remember you in my prayers.

Hi Carine,

Please continue to push yourself, and do not let anyone tell you what you cannot accomplish. My father was told that he would never walk again! With years of therapy and self-determination he went on to 30+ miles of bicycle riding every day for many years, and was able to resume his position in his bowling league - all this when he was in his 70s and into his 80s.

...... may the road rise to meet you, ... the wind blow gently on your back, ... the sunshine warm your face, ..... and may you arrive in heaven half-an-hour before the devil knows you're gone.

post-54863-143138255618_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138255618_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138255638_thumb.jpg

Guest stude8

Carine

Keep your recovery efforts in order and know that the time frame may be longer than you hope for to recover to previous condition of your body.

I suffered a fall from a ladder in 2001 and fractured my left pelvis. It was a severe shock and very painful to the point I gave up hope of ever driving a manual transmission car with left leg on a clutch.

I made a grievous error and sold my beloved 1930 Studebaker President shortly afterward. The left pelvis eventually healed after months of therapy to regain its use. But the Studebaker was gone. Don't give up your positive attitude for a long time, you can overcome the trouble in time. We all hope for you to return to your old self soon. I now have a 1928 Commander Victoria that is nearing its return to the road.

Stude8

post-31139-143138255687_thumb.jpg

Guest Good Old Days

thank you dale & dave! Like I said your words carry me!:D

Doctors do not know all and I'm a vivid example for that!Telling you all the time it doesn't work, isn't doing ant good for the healing proces and it doesn't make you any stronger!

When a thing like this happens to you, you need support and most of all TLC!

Here in Holland the lawyer thing is not an issue.:cool:I'm the one who's respossible for my own body, I also felt I had had the stroke! So in the hospital they knew immediatly what to do. Not that there is much to do about the bleeding ! Just wait and see where it ends. And most of all what's left.

Thanks again you two!:)

Carine

Guest Good Old Days

I have the feeling I keep on putting thank you in my posts all the time!! But you guys are to good to be true, your words are healing my torn soul! My brain kept on working all the time and was in fine condition, so I learned to pick out the good people and now I know the AACA has many of them in the field!

My beloved 1928 Dictator is getting ready now and I don't want to sell it, because I want to show off that car when it's ready!! And I know I will be ready to do so! No matter how long it takes, I have the time to recover.

The last antique car I drove with, is my (late) fathers 1928 President in October last year. That one I want to drive also, dad is always with me in that car!! And oh boy, that's a great feeling. My dad died while he was working on the Dictator, so I hope he'll enjoy that one with me!

Marty, let them devil stay out of my way, he couldn't catch me last time! My mum was too strong for him and she kept him away from me!:D:D

Carine:cool::)

post-56819-143138255806_thumb.jpg

Guest Good Old Days
Cool, some of my mom's family came from Holland way back when. :)

That is going to be a great car when you finish with it. I can't wait to see a new photo with you behind the wheel with a great big grin on your face. :cool:

Linden is indeed a Dutch name, but most of them are like van der Linden, so you lost something on the way!:D Yeah that car is going to be great I know, it will be a very large picture to catch my big grin on it!!

But be sure I will give it a try!:):)

BTW I'm the 4th owner! Thanks to my deer friend Malcolm J. I have this Commander to look out for in the future!:cool: Will keep you posted about it!

Carine:D

Guest Good Old Days
. Carine has shown what I have always said....The human spirit can triumph over everything!! With faith and belief, there is nothing a determined person can not do. I have seen so many miracles in 25 years in EMS that I am convinced that you only need to believe strong enough to triumph. Congratulations on your strong will Carine. Continue to believe and work hard. Perhaps I will see you in your Citroen drive past me some day soon. Best wishes and I will remember you in my prayers.

iT DOESN'T ONLY NEED A STRONG WILL, DAVE!!

You need a lot of friends who you meet at this forum, whatever the problem is!

You get all the help you need!!!!:D:D

My will has grown a lot the last few days!!:o:cool:

Carine

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Good Old Days

Just a little update on my progres last week!

I started to walk a lot more after my treatment of accupuncture, I once went from our house, which is next to our workshop, to my desk on foot!!! I expected to be worn out completly, but no! Finally my body starts to be mine again!

I have hope I will drive my antique cars again! Just need some time and a doctor who really cares for me like the one I have now! You shouldn't get false hope, but a little support is the best medicine!

Watch out for me, one of the first things I want to do is pay a visit to the US, which I had already planned before things went wrong, the minut I'm allowed to fly, America here I come!

I made a promise to my dear friend Malcolm J. Stinson to meet him and I want to walk towards him! This spirit is not easy to break!

I believe my last progres is due to you all!!!!!:D:D:)

Carine

Guest Good Old Days

I WILL GIVE IT A TRY!

Might take some time, but I'm working on it....!:D

Would be my biggest victory to meet some of you, walking if possible. Tomorrow another needle treatment, the one from last week made me feel my left side again after 7 months! What I felt as well were my emotions, didn't have any last months, I cried my heart out for everything I lost, makes you feel very tinyl!

My horse and my Studebakers make me feel very sad this week, so next week can only do better! I have changed my walking steps, have to do it now like I did before, half a step in front of the other , oeps have never thought about that being so hard with my muscles now, they are a bit shorter :eek:

No matter what it takes I will try them all to get better, I'm afraid time is the most valuable issue now!;):cool:

Take care and enjoy your life!:D

Carine

Guest Good Old Days

:) The reason why I started this thread is because I was looking for possibilities of adapting my pre war cars, so I can still drive them after my stroke.

Some of you understood my question to be whether I should drive after a stroke, which is not the issue here, I have to pass a driving test before being aloud to drive! These people will see if it's safe to be on the road again. But if you had a stroke, people think very soon you lost your mind also next to the use of some limbs! This is not the case!! You can be a good driver after a stroke again!!!:cool:

I found the perfect solution on this forum in Canada and France! A power steering system for the 12V cars. This migt be of great help to me in the future, my arm is getting better by the day, but muscle damage will keep me from having a lot of strenghth in my left arm for steering. The rest I can do with my right hand!

Take a look, here's the link

index.html

Good luck!:D

Carine

Many years ago I lived in Minnesota. One of the local AACA members, an older man, had a major stroke. He was paralyzed on one side. He had been restoring a Rickenbacker roadster. After he returned home, his wife said: "You're going to finish that car!" He said: "How? I can't walk or use one arm!"

Every night she'd take him out to the garage, help him lie down on his creeper, shove him under the Rickenbacker, slide his tool box to him and go back in the house. An hour or two later she'd go back to the garage and fish him out. Over time, he got to be able to do more things.

It took him a couple more years, but he finished the car. Then he and his wife drove it to a national meet in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where the car took a national second. I was editor of the Minnesota Region magazine at the time, and wanted a picture of his car for the cover. I rode in it while he drove it to a suitable place for a picture. The car had no power assists, and watching him go around corners and then shift gears was a little scary since he had only partial use of one side of his body and a Rickenbacker is a big car. But his judgment was pretty good, and he always got where he was going.

IT CAN BE DONE! All good wishes to you.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

As many may not know I suffered a stroke in February and lost the use of my left side also. I spent the winter here in northern confined to a wheel chair. In the springI graduated to a walker. I cancelled my plans to attend the BCA nationals which was really a hard thing to do as I had looked forward to it for a year. Today I can report I can drive the old Buick and I will make a national yet. I have made a full recovery now other than a droppy eye, and I know first hand you can do it. The people on here and determination, is what got me through it and pray it works for you also.

Guest rwmerz

Ihad a stroke in April 2001 and have regained good recovery.Left side still affected but the major issue is loss of left side periferal vision .

I test at 93% and state law states 126% periferal vision to drive.

Needless to say i am not driving but have still been ableto attend the four AACA National meets and the last four Olds Club of America Nationals with Many loal car shows.

With the help of a great friend and my wife whose driving abilities have so greatly improved since my stroke [ kidding honey]

Dont give up just adjust to the situation.

Rick Toro66

Guest Good Old Days

Great you all!:):)

I really love your stories, straight from the horse's month as you say!!:D

I am convinced even more then before now that I will be back behind the steering wheel again! Next tursday I have my first test drive! After our holiday in France untill the end of September I have to do the final test drive with an automatic and if I get better in time I will try to get my licrnse back for a handshifted, read antique, car.

I think it's a good thing to talk about a problem like this, only those who suffered a stroke know what you are talking about!:cool:

Just after the stroke you might think it's all over and you can't imagine getting well enough to recover and do things you never believed you would do again!!

So don't sell your babies to quick!

Good luck!

Carine:D

Edited by Good Old Days (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
Guest Good Old Days

Hi you all !

Just wanted to let you know I passed my drivers test with the best result possible!! The road did rise ahead of me!!:)

So I did let the wind blow on my back and let the sun shine on my cheeks while I was in France the last 6 weeks! It did me very much good down there, only no antique cars around this time! The tour we had already organised for this year has been postponed to next year, so I can take part in it with my antique car as well! Hope to recover enough to be able to drive my handshifted car again, for now I do know that all the things said during rehabb are not always the truth!

Some people are different to others and some of us do have an unexpected recovery, although this was not forseen!!! So if any of you read this and you had a stroke, like me, believe all what's being said in some previous posts and keep up your hope!:D

I now know I will drive my Studebaker and Alvis again in the future!

Yahoo, I'm so happy with this and wish all others with the same problem the best recovery possible, I do walk to my car now with a stick, it feels so good! Can you imagine how good it will feel when I'm walking to my Studebaker and drive away with it!:cool:

If so the first picture taken is for you all, you gave me so much support, it felt as if you carried me while I was walking!! Thank you again for all the kind words in this thread.:)

I hope this thread will help others on their way back, because we so now and then we run into problems like this and we do need the support from fellow members, when times are bad we have to be there as well!:) We do not only share the good times, but also the bad ones!:D

This is not a subject you like to read about, because it can happen to any of us, but sharing is always a relief and gives comfort to those who need it.

Thank you Lord for giving us this vivid forum and it's members!:):)

And thank you for giving me the chance to recover with the help of those unknown faces, may the wind blow on their backs and the sun shine on their cheeks whenever they need it:cool:

It is a pleasure getting to know you all!!;)

With all my love,

Carine

Carine,

It has been some time since I checked through these threads, and I was happy to hear that you did well with the driving tests. I am sure you will be hearing from many others following your posts, but probably not until next week as many are at Hersshey this week.

I am still often amazed at the recovery made by many. Keep up the good work.

John

Guest Good Old Days

Thank you John!

All the Buick guys I know are like you; THE BEST!

Carine

p.s. my doctor told me today that I have made so much progress in 10 monts after the stroke that he is sure I will recover to my old self and I will drive my cars again! Yahoo!! Ofcourse I will....!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Good Old Days

:cool::cool:

For those who are interested;

today we (the Dutch Antique Automobile Club - PAC) had a meeting in Winkel, Holland with one of the members, Cees Castricum, a T-Ford (and more beauties)lover.

Since many of the people being there gave me so much support during my time in the hospital, I decided to go there and go in on foot! My way to thank verybody for their love and support! So I did and it did me so well! To walk straight up and look everyone in their face gave me such a boost of energy, I will be back behind the steering wheel of my Studebaker our Alvis in no time probably!:D

It was so much fun to be in the middle of Cees his beautifull collection of fine prewar cars, I haven't been in our garage with my own cars yet, too emotional I think. But now I found out that I can handle seeing my cars soon, if I can go on foot to see all my friends I can see my cars too! And I will drive them soon too, at least next spring I hope!:D For now it's a little cold in winter!

To be continued.....!

;)Carine

I hope that you continue to improve every day. It has to be hard to not be able physically to do what you want to do.

My late father had a stroke many years ago, and for once he listened to the doctor, and did what he was told. He made a full recovery. His only restriction was that he was not allowed on ladders again due to the fact that his balance was not good enough for that. But there were lots of us around to take care of things that required a ladder so he was okay with that one restriction.

Hopefully in the spring you will post that promised photo of you behind the wheel of one of your beloved antique vehicles. :)