Bijur lube system oil for '36 Packard

As a chemist I did a rudimentary analysis of the original Bijur oil some years back; SAE50 motor oil is a good substitute, as are any of the gear oils between SAE75 and 90. I've used SAE85W gear oil in my Bijur for 40+ years, never a problem with the system or the results.

How does one know if the system is working correctly? A couple of ways. If the volume of oil in the jar goes down with driving, it's pumping. If all the lubricated joints show fresh oil on them, they're getting oiled. If you park in exactly the same spot each time, you'll know by the 20+ drips of oil accumulating on your garage floor.

Many thanks for everyones help! I have another question. Since the Super Eight ('36) was in storage fro a while, I rebuilt the fuel system from the tank to the carberetor. Also included is an electric vane pump close by the fuel tank. The car run well for the first day, now I am having a fuel delivery problem. Fuel is delivered to the mechanical pump, but does not exit the mechanical pump. Is it possible that the mechanical pump has a air lock type of problem? Or are the inlet valve plates the problem? If I remove the inlet valves, will the mechanical pump not allow fuel through due to the pumping of the diaphragm causing a air lock? Many thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Many thanks for everyone that responded! I have another question. Since the Super Eight ('36) was in storage for a while, I rebuilt the fuel system from the tank to the carburetor, with the mechanical pump rebuilt also. Included with the rebuild is an (new) electric vane pump close by the fuel tank. The car run well for the first day, now I am having a fuel delivery problem. Fuel is delivered to the mechanical pump, but does not exit the mechanical pump. All lines are clear. New filter installed at the inlet of the electric fuel pump.

Is it possible that the mechanical pump has a air lock type of problem? Or are the inlet valve plates the problem? If I remove the inlet valves, will the mechanical pump not allow fuel through due to the pumping of the diaphragm causing a air lock? Many thanks in advance for any thoughts!