Need New Floor Tar Boards '65 Rivi

ol' yeller

I volunteered to help a fellow local club member replace her carpets and reinstall her newly upholstered front seats. Her car is a '65 Rivi. The actual metal was pretty decent but the tar boards (sound insulation) under the carpet was ruined. I have ordered some replacements from a local shop but after waiting over 6 months for them, I am ready to get them elsewhere. Does anyone know where I can order these from? I thought of using Dynamat or some other similar product but it is very expensive. Your help would be appreciated.

Greg

Guest palosfv3

Evercoat #100116 is a 12"x 12" automotive sound deadening pad used in the collision repair shops today. It can be purchased at most local PBE stores. It is very similar to the sound deadening material found on the floor and trunk pans. I dont believe you can get this material in a larger size but it would sure be nice.

Guest rsteere

Greg. I am putting carpet in my '64. I went to the local u-pull-it removed the factory insulation/pad out of the back of 3 Ford explorers. They charged me $10.00 because I didn't by the carpet. I cut it and installed 1 piece on each front side and the 3rd went in the back.

Randy

Guest ahhh65riv

May I ask why-oh-why in the world would you want to put that original tar paper stuff back in? That stuff is heavy, can hold moisture and I'm not surprised they don't sell it anymore as it is probably made out of things that are found to be bad for your health.

There are a lot of brands of the modern foil backed insulation that you "cut-and-tape" in. Dynamat isnt the most economical way to go.

Fat Mat is about $130 for 100 sq ft

You will pay at least that much for 36 sq ft (9 sheets) for the Dynamat

Eastwood has their own brand a little cheaper

Hushmat has several price and quality/quantity levels between the two.

Or my favorite is the spray in "Lizard Skin", but that's definately not the "budget" route.

There was a topic on another rodders forum where somone was recommending making their own ceramic "spray-in" sound deadener/insualtion. It is made with something developed by NASA and is inexpensive and is comercialy available called "micro balloons" added to latex paint. My own internet search led be to some interesting reading and claims on the matter.

Just my nickles worth, anyway.

Erik

The Original Tar boards are available for my '65 Skylark so if "they are bad for your health" I'd be very surprised. I bought them for my Skylark for under $35. Is there no source for the '65 Rivi? I am doing this as a favor for a Buick friend so I really don't want to spend a lot more on top of what I already spent for upholstery, a carpet kit, POR 15, and extra carpet yardage. Doesn't anyone make the original stuff?

Greg

• 4 weeks later...
Try this "Peel and Seal" is the name. $17.00 for 6"x25' at Lowes. It's a roof repair product. A cheap alternative to Dynamat.

095959062513lg.jpg

This is what I used. It was $12 at my local Lowes and came in a 33' roll. It took most of 2 rolls to do the '65. Thanks everyone for your help!