Gettysburg PAC Meet

Steve_Mack_CT

Steve, sorry you won't be there, I'm looking forward to meeting old friends and some correspondents that I've not met, like yourself. I was hoping to take the 34 but lack of a good secondary road route and length of trip has determined that I'll take the 56 Carib. When I get back I'll post a slew of photos over on the PAC forum.

Steve, sorry you won't be able to make it. I plan to get there Wednesday some time in the afternoon, staying through Saturday morning. My '35 is still in the shop, so I'll be bringing the '41. Looking forward to seeing/meeting folks there: I've never been to a Packard Club national meet, so I'm pretty curious about what it will be like.

Man, is PAC ever going to get it with regard to scheduling their National meets during the hottest time of the year? What about September or even early October? There are so many places that would make great venues for a National, but not in mid-July! Driving a 75 year old car through Gettysburg vacation traffic in 90+ degree heat-- no thanks!

Man, is PAC ever going to get it with regard to scheduling their National meets during the hottest time of the year? What about September or even early October? There are so many places that would make great venues for a National, but not in mid-July! Driving a 75 year old car through Gettysburg vacation traffic in 90+ degree heat-- no thanks!

I totally agree and it is a major reason I haven't attended a PAC National in many years. It is not only my 60 + year old car that can't tolerate 90-100 degree weather! September when the crowds have left and the kids are back in school would be a better time IMHO but then again I am older than my car and no kids in school.

Edited by Clipper47 (see edit history)

I can't speak to why PAC chose July but as a board member a long time ago with a now defunct PAC region, vividly remember trying to plan a tour longer than a Saturday was almost torture. April was early, school, maybe still cold and around Easter. May was school winding down with those functions. June was sometimes school but also one of the better months as things still not too hot. July was again a holiday and hot and lots of people traveling. August hot and so so event wise, some early school stuff but a contender. Sept was back to school and too many people had that responsibility and so it went. When a month was decided upon, then there was always the good possibility another organization had already booked the decent facilities.

Guest cnbed

At the just concluded PAC National Meet in Gettysburg, it was announced that the 2012 meet (two years from now) will be held in Williamsburg, Virginia in SEPTEMBER !

I can attest to the heat, I was present all during the meet. Daytime temps were middle to high 90s, but the cars were very well prepared/maintained as even on our longest driving tour with about 80 cars, some cars ran hotter than usual but instances of boil-over or vapor lock were VERY few. In fact there were suprisingly few mechanical issues with any of the cars, the worst probably being a lost rear wheel on a 1940 Darrin sedan. The heat was probably harder on the older drivers than the cars. That said, I'm ready for a switch to cooler months when the events are in warm areas. It was a VERY fine event in all respects.

There are about 40 pictures of the event on the PAC Forum. If you're thusly inclined, go to www.packardclub.org, then to "Shows, Events & Judging", and then to the thread on Gettysburg.

Edited by Owen_Dyneto (see edit history)

"At the just concluded PAC National Meet in Gettysburg, it was announced that the 2012 meet (two years from now) will be held in Williamsburg, Virginia in SEPTEMBER !<!-- google_ad_section_end --> "

So I guess that means no families or children will be attending.

• 1 month later...
Guest 51Patty400

It was smaller than I thought it was going to be. I also expected more variety in cars. I expect the heat was to blame. I was humid and 40c + every day.