condensation on my intake manifold

Fred Rawling

Encountered this problem with a friends 1924 a couple of years ago and traced it back to the vacuum petrol pump.

His car was running badly, using heaps of petrol ( even more than the normal 10 or 12 M.P.G. ) and chocking itself.

During a test run after going through the carby it started running badly so suggested we pull over and turn the petrol off at the vacuum tank to see if it started to run better as the fuel ran out.

Noticed the intake manifold was very cold and had condensation as you describe.

Turned the fuel off at the vacuum tank and waited for the engine to stop running after using all the fuel in the carby. It didn't stop!!

Even though the carby was empty the motor continued to run ( badly of course , still seemed very rich ).

What we discovered was the petrol was being direct injected into the manifold through the vacuum line used to operate the vacuum tank. I can't recall what caused this to occur, it may have been the overflow or air pipe on the vacuum tank was blocked.

Anyway, for what it's worth look at the vac tank and see that it is working correctly before pulling down the carby.

Thank you Stuart,

I did notice when I turned off the fuel from the vacuum tank that it seemed to keep running. I was looking for the fuel from the vacuum tank flooding the carburetor, not being sucked out of the top by the vacuum line.

I am going to check it out now.

Fred

Thank you Stuart,

I did notice when I turned off the fuel from the vacuum tank that it seemed to keep running. I was looking for the fuel from the vacuum tank flooding the carburetor, not being sucked out of the top by the vacuum line.

I am going to check it out now.

Fred

Fred,

What have you found out? any closer to solving the problem?