4 cylinder 16 valve bad wire tests good?

Guest pnsurfin

Guest pnsurfin

Has anyone experienced having a bad ignition wire that tests good on a ohm meter? My 16 valve has had a starting problem. Once I get it started, all cylinders are firing normally except number 3. It is intermittent with a timing light. It tests within the same acceptable range as the other wires but must be shorting to ground under load? New distributor, cap, rotor and hall effects sensor. Any help would be appreciated.

Patrick

Classic symptom on the 16V motor. If anything feel good about getting it diagnosed effectively. A few years ago (before I knew of the infamous ignition wire misfire) an internet friend of mine built a very expensive Maserati Motor transplant into an L body Omni Mopar and had a mysterious stumbling problem. He tried everything, We emailed back and forth ceaslessly about it. It got to the point where he was willing to sell his $25K invested project for $12k:( Same as you he had ohmed out the wires and they checked out fine. After he replaced them, the problem was gone and he was in love with his car again:)

Bottom line, get a new set of replacement wires from Turbosunleashed.com or RDIPerformance.com and it's very likely you will solve the problem. Now lets turn up the boost a little more:cool:...

Alan

An ohmmeter doesn't really tell the story.

You need to put a load on the wire to really test it. IE Use a 12 volt bulb on a wire connect to the positive from the battery to one end of the wire and another wire to ground.

I always leave out some links when I explain things, but I hope you can understand what I'm saying.

An ohmmeter does not check continuity under LOAD conditions.