WHO'S GOING TO AMES

MrEarl

The official WHO'S GOING TO AMES thread

:) I assume most everyone has figured out if they are going to Ames or not so if so lets hear from you.

Are you bringing or driving a Buick and if so what and what's your route. Perhaps others might want to meet up with you along the way.

When are you getting there.

Whatcha doing while there. Tours etc

:)

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

I am heading straight up I-35 with a scheduled arrival time of Wednesday the 28th. I plan on hitting the swap meet hard and often, looking for elusive 55 parts!

My dad will once again be riding shotgun. My buddy Bill Sheldon will be flying up and taking the third of four/ five seats in my car while there. I will have at least room for one other passenger for cruising purposes... Heck if ya ask real nice, I might let you drive me around!

I'm driving the GMC with the Estate Wagon tucked in behind and Suzanne will be driving the '75 Electra. I'm picking up some parts for Gary about half way to the Twin Cities, and we're bunking with Gopher State folks on the Monday night. Then we'll drive south Tuesday...I'm told the route wasn't yet fully planned out.

We haven't made much in the way of definitive plans whilst we are down there, other than taking photos and hopefully some video of the President & First Lady making an appearance in a Motorama show car. We'll probably drive just one car to Jewell, although if there are enough folks that need rides, we could take both. I expect we'll spend some time in the gardens there at ISU. Beyond that, perhaps the locals will point us toward some touristy options that won't break the bank.

We're making a detour on the way home - my great-grandfather is buried at Humphrey, Nebraska, so we'll swing by there. I remember an old B&W photo of the head stone, but nobody remembers where it wound up, so I'll have to take some photos. From there, it will probably be basically straight north on I29 to get home.

:)I will be co-piloting for Bob Coker aka Progoofoff and acting as official custodian and chauffeur (3 months ago I couldn't even spell 'chauffeur' now I are gonna be one) of the '54 Buick Landau, the 1954 Motorama Show Car. :D

details of route, departure and arrival times to come.....

I need to stay away from the Swap Meet in order to be able to eat (and drink) while there, but Mike or anybody if you need any 54,5,6 parts that I might have, let me know and I can bring with. :)

Guest sintid58

We plan on arriving Wednesday afternoon, we will be driving down I-29 and across Iowa on Iowa highway 3 I think nothing firm yet as it is only around 300 miles. Hope to see you all at breakfast.

We plan to leave the Wichita area around 9AM on Tuesday the 27th and arrive in Ames Iowa that same day. We will take the route north on I 35 thru Topeka Kansas and then North on 35 to Ames. We will be pulling a trailer so if anybody along the way has parts or other things let us know. Will return to Wichita along the same route on Sunday

Chuck Kerls

booreatta@cox.net

316-655-1099

can receive text msgs at this number

My new grandson was born last evening, so I may be able to go after all.....

I will check on flights and see if I can fanagle the time off on Monday... I expect to arrive on Friday afternoon in Des Moines & try to stay for the PWD AfterTour. Anybody going near the airport Friday?

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

For Mark,

We will be flying in Wednesday to KC and driving from there. Des Moines flights were quite pricy from CT. But I will have a rental car, anbd depending on the time you arrive and any judging duties, I might be able to get you, if there are no other offers. Let me know.

John

Thanks Bill...the new shop building is going to be more costly than originally planned...I haven't discussed with The Boss yet, but I just need to be cautious. I've spent some time at the visitames site...need to point Suzanne at it I guess.

I'm leaving Texas on Monday around mid-day, arriving in Ames on Tuesday late in the day. Might try to hook up with "Booreatta" on the way up, not sure. My '62 Electra is registered for the archival judging, but I've just about decided that I don't have time to fool with cleaning and prepping and showing a car, with all the other jobs I have at the meet. So, I will probably leave it at home and ride up with Ed Logan in his '79 Electra--unless someone wants me to deliver to Ames the nice '48 model 71 I have for sale (hint-hint, Mr. Earl).

Does anyone with a swap meet space have room for me to display the '52 carb. and manifold set I have for sale?

For the 400-point judging, we are about a dozen judges short, which is no big deal, as I"m sure we will pick up that many between now and then. We are in the worst shape for classes P (1965-87 Gran Sports) and Q (Grand National, GNX, and Turbo Regals)--almost no one has volunteered for those classes. Everything else is filling up pretty well.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, TX

I Plan on leaving sometime Tuesday morning, the 27th-- arriving sometime in the afternoon- I believe its' around 5-6 hr drive from chi-towns SW 'burbs. Not sure yet if going across I-80 or take a more scenic route across RT 30. Original plans were to bring the 98 Riviera for judging, but I was having some minor paintwork straightened out and not sure if it will be road ready in time-- Paint may be too fresh/soft to subject to bug juice. May be forced to bring the 75 Convertible instead. Would probably be a good road test on the freshly rebuilt trans we lost coming home from Colorado last year !! The 69 Riviera GS is relaxing -- just returned from ROA Nationals & All GM Nationals in Hershey, Carlisle, PA 2 weeks ago-- she's got her road miles for the year-- So its beginning to look like the 75 is westward bound--- Will check with the body shop this week to see exactly when the 98 will be finished.

Leaving Springfield, Mo Monday early. Spending Monday night just south of Des Moines with a daughter. Will arrive Ames early Tuesday.

Jewell is my only 'planned' activity except viewing Buicks and meeting folks with Buick blood in their veins.

Will be available to help in anyway I can.

Did I mention viewing Buicks??

See Ya

Ben

For the 400-point judging, we are about a dozen judges short, which is no big deal, as I"m sure we will pick up that many between now and then. We are in the worst shape for classes P (1965-87 Gran Sports) and Q (Grand National, GNX, and Turbo Regals)--almost no one has volunteered for those classes. Everything else is filling up pretty well.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, TX

I have judged once at Rochester and can judge the 65-87 (87?) GS class as I now own a 66 GS all original and can study it for correctness (interior/chassis etc) and that in turn will help me in the restoration.

Not sure yet if going across I-80 or take a more scenic route across RT 30.

Please, take US30, which is 4 lane divided about 70% of the way, far more scenic and the original Lincoln Highway with still a few old motels, gas stations, abandoned sites ala Route 66.

I80 is pretty boring, and then you still need to shoot north on I35. I have a sister in Milwaukee, I always take US30.

This is becoming bigger than we thought. All flights from Jewell to Ames are full. So I'll be leaving at 8:00 AM Monday and arriving in Ames around 8:30 AM Monday.

:eek:So how far from Ames do you think we will have to park if we get there Wednesday then. :);) Heavy dude, the Iowa freeway is closed man:cool:

Rick,

You could get on one of those wind farm turbine blades and if you calculate the right time to let go, you can land, if they have one in Ames, on a fabric covered air structure arena. If not, back to your plan. See you there.

John

Guest wildcat465

Leaving Tuesday morning with some Canuckistanis. Down I-35 with other hooligans (houligans - Canadian) driving speed limit.

Loaded up and ready to hit the Buick Highway to Ames. (I tried to convince Bob he needed a back door on the trailer but he didn't want to spend the money since it's just an old '54 he's haulin) Too many different roads to name but I will be leaving Athen, GA Monday morning for Bobs place in Winston-Salem NC. Leave Winston-Salem Tuesday morning and go through the following to Ames. Frankfort, Louisville, Indianapolis and Peoria arriving in Ames some time around noon. Correct me if I'm reading the map wrong Bob.

So if you see this rig come come by ya, blow your horn and wave. :D

newimagetj.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Guest mgibson

We plan to leave NC on 7-22-10 morning and head across Virginia following the "Crooked Road" (Hwy 58) into TN and on to Lawrenceburg, KY. Next day we travel to Moline, IL. and the next on to Dubuque, Amana Colonies and Boone, IA. On Monday afternoon, 7-26-10, we plan to arrive in Ames, IA and stay at the Best Western until 8-1-10. Lamar, I'll see you somewhere near a 54. :D

Dan, anything I might can pull and bring for you?

If anybody needs to get in touch with me now or there, my cell phone is 706 201 eight five five five. I'm 'bout deaf so speak up :o

Also everybody, don't forget to pack the latest roster for if you break down and need to call a friend .:)

I'll be leaving Saturday morning with my brother-in-law first I will be in Buffalo for the car show. Then on to Ohio to get new tires put on at the Seybold's garage. And Monday evening I'll be gone to wherever I stop in whatever I'd like to see. So when you pass the 42 century blow the horn and wave. See everybody there.

Have a great Buick day

Frank

I plan on loading up the 1991 Roadmaster wagon with my son and my nephew, leaving Saturday and spending a few days with my sister on the dairy farm in MN first. She has the 'free' 1951 Special you read about in the Bugle a few years ago. It won't make it this year, though. Some heavy winds blew a few pieces of farm equipment into it earlier this year. I will be there Tuesday around noon, as it is only 4 hours from the farm to Ames. I am anxious to see the Buicks and the friendly faces of their owners.

I wish everyone a safe trip there and back.

We plan on leaving Cincy late wednesday or very early thursday (think 3am) for a Thursday noonish arrival.

Might try to hit Antique Archaeology on Thursday AM if we make it far enough Wednesday.

No room for error this year, so I'm crossing my fingers!

We'll probably start out on I-74/I-70 through Indy, but hope to get the chick on the GPS upset by going some back highways. Only downside to that is more bugs! (caught a bird with my radiator on the way to C.S.)

No A/C, so here's hoping the weather stays cool as currently predicted!

If you see my white '58 super on the side of the road, stop and help! :)

Mr Earl you missed one photo op today.

The Iowa High School Senior All Star Football Game was in Ames today, along with the Iowa All Star Cheerleader and Dance Team.

So, you parked a Buick and got lots of "Girls on Buicks" photos then, right? Right? :confused:

;)

We plan on leaving Cincy late wednesday or very early thursday (think 3am) for a Thursday noonish arrival.

Might try to hit Antique Archaeology on Thursday AM if we make it far enough Wednesday.

No room for error this year, so I'm crossing my fingers!

We'll probably start out on I-74/I-70 through Indy, but hope to get the chick on the GPS upset by going some back highways. Only downside to that is more bugs! (caught a bird with my radiator on the way to C.S.)

No A/C, so here's hoping the weather stays cool as currently predicted!

If you see my white '58 super on the side of the road, stop and help! :)

Wish I could road trip with you, but I'm Columbus bound with 2 Wildcats and a stage 1... bad timing to have both shows on the same day, very unfortunate because I will miss the people of BCA this year.