Battery Group Size

Paul K.

What is the battery group size for the 41LC? I want to conceal my Optima batteries and I have found the dummy boxes through a vendor Quail Services. They offer two sizes. Would either of these fit the battery tray? - link below.

If anyone knows other sources for these dummy boxes WITHOUT the battery, please chime in. Thanks!

http://quailservices.com/index.html

Paul: The battery dimensions used is 10-3/8 long, 7-1/8 wide and 8-1/4 tall. Don't remember the battery group size..2N???? I believe that Alan Whelihan supplies the converted dummy battery box for Optima batteries.

As Keith mentioned the Optima battery posts location holes are a tad up and to the outside of the normal tar top battery posts locations. Original tar top battery post holes have to be redrilled to fit Optima posts.

Paul: The Quail services model imitating a tar top battery appears to be the correct size unit to use for your car EXCEPT it does not have the required Lincoln Zephyr or LINCOLN logo on the case. Post war Lincolns used a battery that spelled out LINCOLN in block letters on upper part of battery facing engine and Pre war Lincolns had the Lincoln Zephyr teardrop logo on side facing engine. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a gel Optima two months ago from Earle Brown for my 40, don't know if Earle and Alan batteries are both the same. I was a little "hesitant" at first because some have experienced a short 2-3 year life with gels, and gel is a half the weight of my old 6 v lead tractor battery that lasted 6 years. But now I could not be happier, spins over fast, has the posts in the right place, sealed, teardrop molded in the side and lead strips stamped on top just like the orig. And warning tag says the short life is caused by incorrect over-charging. You only want to charge the gel if it is low charge. If you put it on a trickle on a gel over winter like some, when it doesn't need it, you will overheat it and shorten the life. Yes, ignore ground cable in photos-not yet factory - the correct braided cable is still in my basement!. (my 1940 gel is 6-7/16"H x 10"L x 8"H)

post-45349-143138252388_thumb.jpg

post-45349-143138252418_thumb.jpg

With shipping, total was $315. A lot more than my last lead one, but I don't golf, so that is my equivalent of a few rounds of golf! But have the case now, very nearly original, has a lot of kick, cables connect correctly, and can just add the new Optima to old case in 5-6 years I hope. Shows up UPS ready to go, just drop in the car and drive away. Alan and Earle are both great guys if you have met then at any shows!! I saw some Optimas in either Auto Zone or Advanced Auto Parts and they were $185 - $210, so the little extra for the case and assembly is a pretty good deal!

(Another note: Years ago the late Jack Pixley gave a great electrical demo at an east coast GOF show and he showed with meters all 34 points-more than you would guess- where you can have a bad connection to the starter, and how the resistances are all accumulative, causing slow cranks and low volts. My v-12 was cranking slow then, but after I cleaned all those contacts {mount bolts, relay, battery, grounds, swithces etc.) and put on dielectric grease, I have not had a problem cranking in 25 years)

Cheers!

Archived