Electric Turn signals - first appearance ?

Guest De Soto Frank

Guest De Soto Frank

I'm pretty sure Buick was the first marque to offer "modern" electric directional-signals from the factory, beginning in 1938 (?)... and the lever was on the right-hand side of the column...

When were electric turn-signals first introduced, either as factory equipment, or an aftermarket accessory ?

Would love to see pics of early controls and signal lamps...

Thanks ! :cool:

De Soto Frank

Guest Earl

I had a '46 Ford pickup that had factory turn signals and the lever was on the dash so you could flip them on or off as you changed gears. It aimed the direction you were intending to turn. At the time I didn't think the truck came that way and then had some Ford guy tell me that they were factory and quite hard to find. But I still don't know for sure. I really liked them though as I didn't have to roll the window down to turn. I haven't thought about those turn signals for years and still wonder if they were a "Ford" accessory..

1939 Buick's have them on the rear only as standard. A switch on the on the column change lever. 1 939 was the first year the Buick went to steering column change from floor change.

My '37 Buick Roadmaster has them on the left, but they appear to be aftermarket, and period-correct. Both front and rear will continue to flash, but the switch stalk tip also flashes - but only once.

My '37 Buick Roadmaster has them on the left, but they appear to be aftermarket, and period-correct. Both front and rear will continue to flash, but the switch stalk tip also flashes - but only once.

Marty, the 40 Pontiac's have as a option a turn signal switch just as you described.

Don