Oxnard Montalvo

When were Emergency flashers mandated?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Four way hazard warning flashers were NOT required on 1966 models. I have two 1966 Cadillacs, one of which was purchased as a 1 year old used car in 1967, and neither has 4 way flashers. I bought a 1965 Chevrolet Impala in July of 1965 which did not have them and a close relative bought a 1966 Impala in March of 1966 which did not have them. Aftermarket kits were readily available in those days with which to retrofit older cars with hazard warning flashers. I installed kits identical to the one in the photograph on both my 1965 Chevy and my relative's 1966 Chevy. As for state inspections, I resided at the time in Washington DC which then had one of the strictest inspection laws in the country and had dedicated government owned inspection stations to enforce the law. Both cars passed inspection without the flashers with no problem.

flasher.jpg

Edited by Gene Dodd (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:19 PM, Skyking said:

Picking my daughter and grandsons up at Orlando airport.  There's a spot on the highway just before the airport exit you can park on the side of the road to wait and set the flashers.  It's strange to pull up to this area with all the lights flashing......very convenient though.

 

I use mine every Tuesday when I take the trash out to the side of the street. Our driveway is 700' long and I am somewhat handicapped so I have to park along the street and toss the bags out of the back of my pick-em-up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 11:48 AM, cheezestaak2000 said:

the four ways were part of the safety components for the 1967  model year. other parts of it were outside rearview mirror, dual master cylinder, collapsing steering column, and flat dash knobs

I know it was 1968 for the flat dash knobs.  Even Joe Lucas had to change to rocker switches from the long slender toggle switches on nearly all the British cars, including Jaguar, Triumph, Sunbeam, et al.   Also, a glove compartment door latch that would not open on impact and seatback latches on two door models and station wagons were also required for 1968.

 

Tire pressure decals in a visible place, (some on the inside of the glove compartment door, others on one of the door pillars, depending on the make) were mandated on January 1st, 1966.  This no doubt in response after Ralph Nader's chapter on the Corvair tire pressure differential between the front and the rear, which was commonly ignored.

 

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gene Dodd said:

Four way hazard warning flashers were NOT required on 1966 models. I have two 1966 Cadillacs, one of which was purchased as a 1 year old used car in 1967, and neither has 4 way flashers. I bought a 1965 Chevrolet Impala in July of 1965 which did not have them and a close relative bought a 1966 Impala in March of 1966 which did not have them. Aftermarket kits were readily available in those days with which to retrofit older cars with hazard warning flashers. I installed kits identical to the one in the photograph on both my 1965 Chevy and my relative's 1966 Chevy. As for state inspections, I resided at the time in Washington DC which then had one of the strictest inspection laws in the country and had dedicated government owned inspection stations to enforce the law. Both cars passed inspection without the flashers with no problem.

flasher.jpg

That is correct.  1967 was when they became standard. 

 

Emergency flashers became a mainstream option for the general public starting in 1966, where previously, it was mainly reserved for fleet and public service vehicles.

 

Craig

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe they were mandatory or required but Cadillac had Emergency Hazard flashing lights as early as 1966. My father bought a brand new 1966 Sedan. Non mandatory safety equipment such as seat belts and flashers were used as safety competitive marketing tools by high end manufacturers before government requirements. It was buried under the dash by your left shin.  It was a "what the heck is that thing discovery". A little red clear plastic type knob you pulled down to actuate. . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Law was part of the 66 Act and required for '67 models.

 

In Florida it is now illegal to use four ways when going slow in a heavy rain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the early days of 4-ways, it was illegal in Colorado to use them if you were moving. It was on the chauffeur license test. I always blamed the PA. turnpike for starting the slow moving,  or “I’m just scared”  4-way flashing phenomenon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jubilee said:

In the early days of 4-ways, it was illegal in Colorado to use them if you were moving. It was on the chauffeur license test. I always blamed the PA. turnpike for starting the slow moving,  or “I’m just scared”  4-way flashing phenomenon.

I have seen and behind cars driving down the freeway with the 4 ways on. The problem is some cars still use the same light filament as the brake lights.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You northerners have no idea what a Florida frog strangler is like, when you cannot see over 50 feet and proceeding at 20 mph trying to find a place without guard rails to pull over you really want maximum visibility to the idiiot going 60.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2010 at 10:00 AM, Paul Dobbin said:

My 1966 VW has them from the factory (last of the 6 volt systems too)

 

The las 6 volt beetle was the 1200 L model of 1975

 

3.jpg15.jpg

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2016 at 11:34 PM, padgett said:

Every time I drive to south Florida in the wet season there is a frog strangler or two & traffic goes to 20 from 70+. As mentioned the human eye sees a flashing light before a steady one.

 

My GM cars of the last millennia have it on the passenger side of the steering column, my Chryslers from this have it in the center of the dash (so a passenger can reach it ?)

In fact, hazard lights worsen the danger of driving in a downpour. Driving with your hazard lights on is also illiegal in Florida — and in most states —punishable by a $129 fine. The only time you can use them when in motion is if the vehicle is in a funeral procession.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do know that they were available as a factory authorized in as early as 1959 in Chevrolet's both passenger and truck. I have them in my 60 Impala as well. 

IMG_6329.JPG

IMG_6330.JPG

IMG_6331.JPG

IMG_6332.JPG

IMG_6333.JPG

IMG_6334.JPG

IMG_6335.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, John348 said:

I do know that they were available as a factory authorized in as early as 1959 in Chevrolet's both passenger and truck. I have them in my 60 Impala as well. 

IMG_6329.JPG

IMG_6330.JPG

IMG_6331.JPG

IMG_6332.JPG

IMG_6333.JPG

IMG_6334.JPG

IMG_6335.JPG

 

John, since Chevy offered it in 59 do you thing this would be a GM wide option? I have a extensive ( and thought complete ) option catalogue for the 59 Pontiac and I cannot find that option. Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know for sure, you would need to check sale literature, and accessories catalogs. Some items were offered on just on Chevrolet's, and example of this was cruise control that was introduced on Chevrolet's in late 1960.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2019 at 10:53 AM, Pfeil said:

 

John, since Chevy offered it in 59 do you thing this would be a GM wide option? I have a extensive ( and thought complete ) option catalogue for the 59 Pontiac and I cannot find that option. Thoughts?

 

I just checked and did NOT find any GM literature that the the Hazard Flasher was available in 1959 in Chevrolet's, so I would presume the same for Pontiac. Many of these type accessories were offered in the Chevrolets truck line that spilled over to the passenger cars. You got me thinking now, it might have been a late 1959 addition. Many dealers would cut corners and save a few dollars back then and install a non-GM accessory instead of the factory authorized part, like Motorola radios is a great example. I had seen many cars back in my junk yard picking days that had 'FlareStat' flashers installed.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now