Oxnard Montalvo

When were Emergency flashers mandated?

Does anyone (Dave@Moon?) know exactly when the Feds required the automobile manufacturers to include emergency flashers as standard equipment?

The only information I've been able to find gives a February 1966 date to the mandate, but I can't figure out if that was an immediate order or if the government gave the manufacturers some time to implement the order.

Thanks.

MC forever.

All I know is they've improved the activation switches over the years. Remember the stuck switches and broken knobs?

They were an option on my '66 Skylark. I think they were mandatory in 1968 along with side marker lights.

• Like 1

My 1966 Mustang has them and they were standard from the factory. The switch is located in the glove box.

I believe that Ford used the glove box location in 1966, and then moved them to the steering column in 1967.

I also believe that GM made them standard in 1967, and that they were mounted on the steering column also.

My 1966 VW has them from the factory (last of the 6 volt systems too)

Paul, last of the 6V in U.S. cars is 66. In Europe the first 12V for beetle was 66 in 1301 model and they got disc brakes too, however the standard (TYPE 111 and the deluxe 113 was still 6V through the 67 model year. All beetles in Europe got 12 V in 68 as well as seal beam headlamp and front fender change so they could fit. So I guess you could say they were the first with 12V and last with 6V

Don

1966 is correct, I believe all (?) 1966 model vehicles had them

Negative, they became standard equipment on American cars for the 1967 model year. (We had a '66 Chevy and it did not have them.)

• Like 1

The deluxe 1966 VW 113 (Export Model that was sent to the USA) had the Emergency Flasher. All the Export Models in 67 where 12 Volts and had Flashers, door lock buttons, and uncovered sealed beam headlights and backup lights.

I was stationed there 1965-1967 and have had 10 of them. The 67 is by far the best bug ever built. (My opinion that's shared by most early VW guys)

I can't imagine that VW would have put Flashers in the 1966 if it wasn't required for entry int othe U.S. market.

I know my 65 Mustang didn't have them but I think the 66 did.

post-32318-143138246684_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking 68, and that they were optional in 67. I know 67 was the year GM incorporated them onto the steering column; before that they mounted underdash and were made by FlareStat. It's interesting that every 1966 GM car I've seen has the FlareStat mounting holes pre-drilled into the lower dash panel, some to the left side, others to the right of the steering column, so if they weren't federally mandated, they were getting ready for it.

Quite by accident I discovered that a 1966 Cadillac FlareStat will plug and play on a 63-64 Oldsmobile, as well as 1965 Olds with tilt column. Those cars still had the pyramid shaped turn signal switch plugs.

I had already bought a real FlareStat kit, so the Caddy parts saved me hacking my wiring. It also saved me paying the outrageous money FlareStats for the crescent plug equipped cars command. I get tired of fighting the musclecar guys for options that fit the whole lineup, and watching them jack the price up out of reason.

I'm thinking 68, and that they were optional in 67. I know 67 was the year GM incorporated them onto the steering column; before that they mounted underdash and were made by FlareStat. It's interesting that every 1966 GM car I've seen has the FlareStat mounting holes pre-drilled into the lower dash panel, some to the left side, others to the right of the steering column, so if they weren't federally mandated, they were getting ready for it.

QUOTE] It's also interesting that while helping a friend restore his 66 Pontiac GTO the nut was welded into the roof for the shoulder harness bolt even though that didn't come until 67.

Don

My ´68 Impala has them located on the steering column and our '66 Bonneville doesn´t have any emergency flashers at all..

Fed. regs. mandated all 1966 vech. must have hazard warning 4/ways .If you have a66 with out them it wont pass state insp. in ANY Us State.

I did a little research, and it seems that until Congress got all uppity over the public outcry over Ralph Nader's book, "Unsafe at Any Speed" there were no Federal regulations involving automotive equipment. Standards for production had been established by the SAE (Society of Automobile Engineers) but that was it. There were NO Federal mandates.

In August, 1966, Congress passed the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Act (15 U.S.C.A. § 1381) which established a new federal regulatory agency, the National Highway Safety Bureau, later renamed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The NHTSA was given a mandate to establish and enforce rules that would force manufacturers to build vehicles that could better avoid and withstand accidents. President Johnson signed the act into law in September, 1966.

As a result of these new laws, nineteen federal safety regulations came into effect on January 1, 1968. The regulations specified accident avoidance standards governing such vehicle features as brakes, tires, windshields, lights, and transmission controls. They also mandated more costly crash-protection standards. These included occupant-protection requirements for seat belts, energy-absorbing steering wheels and bumpers, head restraints, padded instrument panels, and stronger side doors.

Law Encyclopedia

Because the manufacturers knew these requirements were in the works they instituted them hodge-podge, and most well before the January 1968 deadline. That's most likely why in 1966 and 1967 some cars had flashers and some didn't.

• Like 1

Call your local State Inspection station,tell them you have a 1966 vechical that dosnt have any hazard warning lights and ask if it will pass LEGAL insp.

Call your local State Inspection station,tell them you have a 1966 vechical that dosnt have any hazard warning lights and ask if it will pass LEGAL insp.

Here in PA there are no separate inspection only stations. I am willing to bet that the majority of inspection stations (for those States that have them) couldn't even tell you when daytime running lights came into play in the 90's, let alone 4-way flashers from the 60's. Most mechanics today can't even adjust a carburetor or check a vehicles timing.

Seems like my '66 Mustang had a bracket in the glove compartment with a factory installed 4 way emergency flasher switch. My memory does get a little fuzzy at times, especially with things I don't give a D___m about.-Bob

• Like 1

:D LOL Ron, I have to agree with you about the Todays mech. Thats why NY. at least requires recertafcation. We also have a manuial with all the correct ans.? ? to all the Techs. questions.:) I dont think anything is written in stone,im just repeating what my state instructors tought me. I quit turning wrenches about the time big brother told me I couldnt brake the plastic restrictor knobs of the carb. adj. screws and make the car run better anymore.:(

all 1966 Fords had 4 way flashers, as stated earlier, the switch was in the glove box of the Mustangs

all 67 GM cars had them

I do not own a 66 GM car to confirm their use or not

1968 is the year side markers were mandated, different mandate

my '67 t-bird has 4ways (broken) by the turn signal switch (broken).... right by the (broken) shift lever....

• Like 1

My parent's '66 Impala didn't have them, but my uncle's '67 Impala did. As stated, Ford in particular, had them in '66 but I don't think they were mandatory until '67.