Low Tension Remy Magnetos

1913Moline

Any Remy experts out there. I'm trying to sort out the differences in the Model L and Model S Remy magnetos of the 1910 vintage.

They seem very similar- I think Buick, Overland and several other cars used these. My 1910 Fuller uses a Model T, which is a 2 row magnet version of the L and S

Any info appreciated.

I had a Buick with a Remy L mag. I had a hard time finding someone willing to repair it. The usual places wont repair them because of the way the windings and commutator are pressed onto the shaft. After a long search, I found an antique tractor repair shop that repaired mine. If you need the contact info I will try to dig it out of my "files" somewhere? I think I may have a copy of a 10 page shop manual for the Remy L.

Guest Steve Hughes

I don't know anything about the Model L. My 1911 Oakland uses a Remy Model S, however, and I have tried to run down whatever information I could on these. When I tried to find someone about repairs the first thing all of the magneto repair people said when I mentioned Remy was "I don't work on Remy magnetos". Fortunately my magneto seems to be working fine, but I do have a problem with the ignition coil. It must have a shorted turn as it heats up enough that the wax melts out of the coil box. I have wired in a standard 6 volt ignition coil from a 1950s vintage car as a substitute and it seems to be working very well. I have some information that I tracked down on the Model S if you are interested. Send me a PM and I will email you some pdf documents.

Jdome: I would be interested in a copy of the Model L information as well if you locate it. If it is similar to the Model S then there may also be information in there that would be useful as well.

Steve

1913moline,

Oldtimer's syndrome stricks again. My car had a Remy RL mag & coil. I don't know how that compares to your L. I did find my RL manual if that would help you. Still looking for the remy repair shop for you.

My Remy RL mag was on a 1913 vintage vehicle. Getting the coils rewound if necessary is not a problem. After a long search and a number of referrals I found:

Belanger's Auto Electric They also go by Mainly Magnetos

Web site is WWW.MainlyMagnetos.com

Phone is 207-834-7309

Hc 61 box48-3

Cross Lake, Maine 04783

I had my mag repaired back in 2003 so I don't know if the contact info is current.

Guest Steve Hughes

That is interesting as that is one of the places that I contacted and he immediately said "I don't work on Remy Magnetos" Must have been in a bad mood that day.

I contacted the shops listed in Hemmings and HCCA and a couple other shops referred by others. I ended up doing a web search I believe under "Magneto repair" (or something like that) and brought up a long list of posibilities. I emailed a dozen or more and Balenger's was the only one that would service it.

• 2 years later...
1913moline,

Oldtimer's syndrome stricks again. My car had a Remy RL mag & coil. I don't know how that compares to your L. I did find my RL manual if that would help you. Still looking for the remy repair shop for you.

I was doing some reserch on Remy Mags and found your note. I have recently purchased a 1909-1910 Buick, that requires a Mag. All i know at this point is it is a Remy and might be a model R that fits it. Would it be possible to get a copy of RL manual? Thank you.

If any one else out there might have some info on Mags for early Buicks I would sure appreciate the help.

• 1 month later...
Any Remy experts out there. I'm trying to sort out the differences in the Model L and Model S Remy magnetos of the 1910 vintage.

They seem very similar- I think Buick, Overland and several other cars used these. My 1910 Fuller uses a Model T, which is a 2 row magnet version of the L and S

Any info appreciated.

Hello, I was wondering if you found out the info you needed on the Remy type s and type L. I have a type S for my Buick, which turns opposite to what I need. I found out that if you take off the rotor brass plate, turn it over, there are markings for it to turn in the opposite direction. could this be the difference between n S & L? I imagine there must be a wireing difference as well. but have not been able to confirm that.

Frank

• 1 year later...

Frank S, As you can see from my notes I was looking for info on these Remys and unfortunately did not receive any. Any how there is some info in the early Dykes manuals (1918). No adjustments mentioned. From what I have found out adjustments are minimal. All has to do with timing. I believe Remys will run Left or Right. I still have not found out about recharging the magnets without take the mag apart. taking these apart is not easy. I am going to try and charge the magnets the same way Model t magnets are done I need to makeup some charging coils). I bench tested mine using a direct connection with a 1750rpm electric motor and got 4-6 V. I replaced the old coil with a new 6V coil and switched between the mag and Bat. The plugs appeared to show the same spark. I have yet to run the engine. Hope this helps I'm still working on it. A copy of a manual would really help. Regards Frank W.