Estimated value on a 62 Olds Dynamic 88

Guest dan62olds

Guest dan62olds

Hello! I have a 62 olds dynamic 88 2dr hardtop. Has the original rocket 394 with auto, ac, pb, ps. This car has been sitting for the last 10 years but is completely original. Everything! paint, interior etc.. There is only a little rust in the passenger floor board and the rear bumper is bent. The body is straight as can be with no other rust. even the trunk pan is solid. Even has the spare tire jack. No glass is broken, still has the stock steel wheels with bias ply tires. This is a 2nd owner car with an owners manual and some other receipts and misc paperwork. I dont know what these cars are worth and I would love some input. The car was running when it was parked. It does need a restoration, the seats, carpet and headliner need to be done but the car is solid.. Any help on value would be great and if anybody maybe interested let me know.

Pictures would be helpful but from what you describe I would say $1500-$4000 depending upon how good or bad the interior is, what the paint and trim looks like, and whether or not it will start up and move under it's own power. If you change the fluids out and get it running, clean and buff the exterior (no matter how bad the paint), and clean the interior you can almost double the value from what you described as a car that has been sitting for ten years and DK it it runs.

FYI: I recently saw a 1962 Olds Starfire 2DHTP advertised for $10,000. Looked great in pictures.

That weekend I went to small car show at the local auto parts store and this beautiful blue Starfire pulled in and parked. For Sale on the window for $7,500. (It was the same car, confirmed by the owner) A closer look revealed a clean engine, running with slight miss. An original blue vinyl interior in nice condition with fresh blue carpet.

The aluminum trim all over the sides was 95% complete, the paint was shiny.

But: All along the trim were it was attached to the body there were rust bubbles lifting the paint, both shiny chrome bumpers had rust holes in the corners. All the rubber around the glass was dry and cracked. (In short it needed everything)

I'm sure $5000 would buy it. It was spectacular from 50 feet and would have made a great movie car for Thelma & Louise to drive off a cliff. We all would have weeped.

It could have been restored for about $30,000 and become a great $15,000 car. My choice was the Thelma and Louise option.

Guest dan62olds
Pictures would be helpful but from what you describe I would say $1500-$4000 depending upon how good or bad the interior is, what the paint and trim looks like, and whether or not it will start up and move under it's own power. If you change the fluids out and get it running, clean and buff the exterior (no matter how bad the paint), and clean the interior you can almost double the value from what you described as a car that has been sitting for ten years and DK it it runs.

No pics yet. I know that would be helpful... But it was once a dark gold with a white roof and a cloth interior. Steering wheel has cracks, The drivers seat is torn and the top of the back seat is also bad along with the headliner is ripped in one spot, carpet is there but faded and rotted in a few spots. The paint has just surface rust but the body is straight, all the trim and emblems are there and is straight. Grill looks great. The back bumper is pushed in, in the middle a little bit. The AC is all there as well. Nothing hacked up.

Is there a market for these cars? I mean would it be an easy sell? Just trying to see if it would be worth my time. Im getting it from a older lady who is the second owner of 30 years.. I will get it for practically nothing. I will get some pics soon and will post them. Thanks y'all for your input. Ive been a chevy guy my whole life so im clueless when it comes to the buick, olds family...

Frankly from what you describe I would advise passing on the car unless you need it for parts or are willing to take the time to get your money back parting it out, which is what it will take to maximize your profit. As Paul Dobbin indicated for someone to restore a car like that would cost twice as much, or more, than what it will be worth when finished. A very nice copy of that car would bring $8500-$14000, a Starfire more than that.

As far as being easy to sell you just never know. About five years ago I bought a '61 Olds Dynamic 88 station wagon with three on the tree for $600 I think it was. I bought it to turn and make some money on to put into my Pontiacs. It was a complete car and was in better shape than you describe the '62 to be, but needed to be restored. I got it running but could not find a replacement transmission. It took two years to sell the car and I ended up losing money on it in order to get it out of my shop. Being a standard shift Olds I thought someone would want it but I almost couldn't give it away.

It sounds like that was a really pretty car when new. It would be good if someone brought it back.

Good luck.

Guest dan62olds
Dan

I may be interested in buying it if the price is reasonable. I'd like to see photos & also know where the car is located.

Ok well I live in Modesto, Ca. Thats located in Northern Ca an hour south of Sacramento. I will try to get some pics soon. Im on the road all the time so it's tough to find some time. Im going to replace the tires, tune up and knock of some surface rust. The car is complete except for the glove box door. Im sure its around, I just have to look for it. Ill keep in contact with you and will get some pics for you as soon as I can..