Babbit to Insert bearings

Several weeks ago I noticed a posting questioning how to go about converting a straight eight to insert bearings. An article with all the correct dates, part numbers, etc., was written about this in the July, 2004 Bugle, page 23. Basically, in 1949 Buick began to install inserts after the first 5,000 units. The insert rods used are the approved Buick conversion rods for years back to at least 1940. This is the correct conversion application as listed in the Buick parts book which is where I first located this information. No machining or modification is necessary. As a result I have converted several cars, including my 1940 Super, to inserts by simply using the Buick rods listed in the parts book. Used rods are just as good as NOS rods are very seldom damaged and it is insert bearings where the wear occurs and not the basic rod itself. There is no need to have rods machined and using the approved Buick conversion rod is better anyway, in my opinion. If there is interest I can locate my copy of the July 2004 Bugle and post the specs and numbers from the parts book. I know it is right as I wrote the article and did the research, as well as located and used the parts to make several engines work. The conversion rods are used for both large and small series engines. Hope this is of interest. Thanks, Patrick W. Brooks

Guest BigDogDaddy

This is certainly good information to know. Right now the engine in my '40 Limited is running very well. I don't have plans to rebuilt soon, but it would be nice to know how to do this conversion just in case.

Thanks,

Phil

Hello Phil, Mark and Frank: The information set out below is from my 1950 Buick parts book under Group 0.603, Connecting Rods. This covers the large series engine from 1936 through 1950 and the small series from 1937 through 1950. See below:

Part # 1393818 1936-1937-1938-1939 series 60, 80 and 90

1940 series 60, 70, 80,90

1941-1942 series 60, 70, 90; H1942 series 60 and 70

1946-1947-1948-1949-1950 series 70

Part # 1393817 1937-1938-1939 series 40

1940-1941-1942 series 40 and 50

H1942 series 40 and 50

1946-1947-1948-1949 series 40 and 50

1950 series 40

What all this means is that in 1949 and 1950, depending on the series, the rods were to be used as the replacement rods in specified earlier years. Buick had stopped buying and supplying babbit and had used the remainder of their stock by putting babbit in the first 5,000 Buick made in 1949. After the first 5,000 cars all the 1949's had inserts. For example, if you have a 1937 small series and can find NOS or used rods from a 1950 series 40 you can simply pull out the original babbit rods and put in the 1950 series 40 and use them without any machining or modification. What a deal. I have done this several times and have driven the cars from Iowa to New York, Texas, Missouri and many shorter trips. It works. Hope this is of interest and assistance. Patrick W. Brooks

Guest jules greenway

Patrick, this is extremely useful information, does the same apply to the earlier engines? ie '30, 31? or does some design difference make the swap not possible?

regards

Jules

Jules, I just converted my 31' 90 to inserts on the rods and the mains. The rods are different on the earlier cars so it is a lot of machining and it's very expensive. I'm happy I had it done as I didn't get a nice feeling when talking with babbitt places. I have heard several horror stories of incompetence from the pourers and wanted something better. We will see in the upcoming years if I made the right decision. I had some antifreeze damage to my bearings as the head leaked on the car. Last summer I helped my grandfather put newer insert rods in his 40' special and they worked like a charm. Brad

Guest aussie buick

Whilst my 38 century is running fine at the moment I would like to obtain a set of these rods to prepare for any future rebuild. I imagine originals would be hard to obtain due to this mod. Surely rods could be sourced from an aftermarket supplier from the performance industry?

Guest aussie buick

Yes, bought the century about two weeks ago. It's a fisher body imported to oz in 99. Nice car and the previous owner tracked it's history back to it's selling dealer! Also have a 37 century body on a special chassis which I was given for parts. You probably know the 38 century, it's from ulladulla. I intend to join the Buick nsw club shortly.

Guest aussie buick

US-320 that's the one. Very happy with it. My collection started with the 38 special which was mostly complete and I was planning a resto, as I pulled it down it wasn't good news so I decided to do a resto rod with it to save it. I then stumbled across the other two. The 38 has a lot of good parts. The 37 is basically a body on an incomplete chassis. Worth saving from the ship to china though. I also have Fj holdens and plenty of parts, I now find people asking for the obscure parts that people years ago thought were worthless. I do panel fabrication and restoration work and often find the parts useful myself. I live in the shellharbour area.

Sorry to hijack this thread!

• 3 weeks later...

Babbit to insert good idea!! I did this to my 38 Special 3 years ago and have never regretted it.

I used rods from a 49 buick they were used. I did this because at the time I was rebuilding my engine and my machinest strongly suggested this.

The machinest I used was very knowlegable with old Buicks. This whole procedure was not expensive probibly because I was getting the engine block and crank machined reguardless.

The car has run great no regrets!!

Good Luck! Will read forums for comment. GS1938:)