Wanted: 27" Clincher tire(s)

Trying hard to make the New London to New Brighton tour in August. Clincher tires (35 years old) are failing - beads tearing. I will eventually make new rims for straight side tires, but for now could reallly use a 36 x 4 1/2 (or two) clincher so that I can make this tour. I've called all the tire guys, hoping to find an old stash, no such luck.

Any 36 x 4 1/2 or even 37 x 5 clinchers out there?

Tom Rasmussen

post-51799-143138243156_thumb.jpg

Tom,

If your game to try this,I put a section of round electrical heavy duty cord in the recess of a demountable clincher rim to fill the space and mounted straight wall tires on a car I had years ago. It seemed to work without fault.

Joe

Tom, Clincher tires in that size are very hard to come by, if found they will be either hard or rotten and hardly usable on the tour. I know it won't be acceptable to the wheel engineers, but Joe's problem solving will work. I'm speaking from using it also. ---Bob

I think if you guys look at the picture, you will see he has plain clincher rims, no rings. A clincher tire is mandatory as it must be stretched over the rim, straight side tires ( and clinchers made for detachable rims) have wire in the beads specifically so they will not stretch.

Layden-- While looking at Tom's "ought" Franklin I totally missed what you keenly observed. As I said usable tires for this wheel are next to impossible to find. The clincher wheel with the removable outside ring will accept our remedy.In summation Tom has his work cut out for himself. Thanks for the "heads up" ---Bob

• 1 month later...
Guest cben09

Look carefully at metric size English Dunlop tyres,,Not sure whats available,,,,Also some of the Michelins,are made of a MUCH MORE PLIABLE rubber,,,I guessed I'd be all day gettin a big tyre off,,,,and I could almost get it off without the irons,,,just like the old days ,,,,wow,,a pleasure most cannot immagine,,,Cheers,,,Ben

There is a similar trick you can useto run straight side tyres on beaded edge rims on wire wheels, which of course are not fitted with detachable lock rings. I once had to use a 5.00x24 tyre on an 895x135 wheel. this size is metric 23 inch. I used a 24 "wire wheel lock ring , reversed to normal, on each side of the tyre. The inside diameter of the lock ring sat on the floor of thr rim trough, so to speak; and the tyre beat fitted the reversed recess of the lock ring. I amticipate trouble in finding supply of 28 inch beaded edge tyre for my 1911 4 cylinder Napier when I finish it. Those big original wire wheels are in excellent condition, and I am not inclined to fit smaller rims. A fellow from NSW Veteran Car Club needed apparently unavailable size tyres for one of his cars, and so he had mould and tyres made himself, initiating the Betco brand. This became quite a respectable business; but he sold out , I understand because of the increasing cost of liability insurance.