Overheating

Guest Sue Bell

Guest Sue Bell

The radiator cooling fan doesn't always seem to come on. Is it okay to hot wire it to the ignition? Any other suggestions? :confused:

Guest george w

Not a good idea.

The fan doesn't always run. It's controlled from the engine computer and switched by the fan relay. If the air conditioning is off the fan will cycle on and off once the coolant temperature gets up to about 3/4. It should come on though if the A/C is engaged and the compressor is running.

Guest Majmx

Hello Sue;

Just went through this overheating without the fan not running when it reach about 212 degrees.

I replace the sensor on the radiator housing, and also the fan relay on the left strut housing all to no avail.

What I discovered was I had a fusible link that was broken. I determined this because I was not able to get the A/C Compressor to engage when I pushed the AC button located on the left side of the heater/AC control pane.

If you are not able to get the AC compressor to run when you depress the AC control button you might have a fusible link that is bad.

On my 89 2.2 the fusible links are located just below the radiator fan control relay located on the left strut tower.

It is my understanding the orange link on the outside of the master fusible link plug was notorious for breaking at the plug head. Hence the work around used by some Chrysler mechanics was to run a wire from the positive terminal of the battery and connect it via a splice to the end of the orange fusible link broke off from the master fusible link plug.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Bob Steele

TC America

Suffolk England