1917 Brake Chatter

autoluke

One last problem with the 1917 touring car.. Considering that the brake system is extremely limited with rear-only mechanical action, slight application seems to work reasonably well. When transmitting a heavy effort to the pedal, however, the entire system rings and vibrates .

Is this considered to be normal, or should I be concerned ?

Phil

Guest elmo39

phil,, i,m not really up with rear only brakes , although some years ago ( 46 to be exact ) i owned a rear brake only 24 Dodge ,it was used daily, i can,t recall any chatter problems , but have found over the years if there is a chatter there usualy is a reason , one comes to mind , are your brake linings securely fixed to the shoe .

The lining appears to be intact...I have slightly adjusted the brakes at the large wing nut on each drum, which seems to help with the chatter. Only time it becomes severe is during a hard pedal application

I suspect that an axle/spring wind-up might be the issue, so that the chatter might be the result of kick-back through the linkage. Does this make sense ?

Guest 54ing

Were the brakes recently relined? sometime an incorrect friction material can cause chatter. Also, new linings sometimes have a higher resin content, and will "heat cure" while in use and bed in to operate correctly.