64 project delivered last week

Here is mine. It is sporting a '65 engine/trans. Currently trying to get the new carpet and headliner installed. I really want to take it to the nationals but I don't think I can have it ready.

post-62604-143138243112_thumb.jpg

post-62604-143138243126_thumb.jpg

post-62604-14313824314_thumb.jpg

it'll be mild custom. I am putting a 425 back in it (although not in Buick green) and would like a primarily stock interior, but there are a few areas that I'd like to customize.

I dream bigger than I can spend, but I'd like to personalize the wooden inserts on the doors and stick the headlights behind the grill. also, I'm looking at a non-stock body color as well as a nicer sounding exhaust.

• 4 months later...

Jonly, Appears you are moving along faster than me. I got the new headliner and carpet in. I hope to do the seats and door panels in the spring. The goal is to have it in Wisconsin at the Buick meet next summer. Might make it to Missouri?

Randy

^nice 65 running and all?

Jonly, Appears you are moving along faster than me. I got the new headliner and carpet in. I hope to do the seats and door panels in the spring. The goal is to have it in Wisconsin at the Buick meet next summer. Might make it to Missouri?

Randy

I wouldn't say I'm further along, just going at a different angle. my interior is still completely pulled out of the car and the body hasn't been touched.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like a nice project.

Here is my 65 Riv GS I received recently. It's been sitting for 25 years as you see it. I've removed the front clip, finally got all the body mount bolts loose, and will be removing the body from the frame shortly. Will then be stripping the chassis, and begin a complete restoration.

87GNand65Riv037.jpg

87GNand65Riv048.jpg

65RivGSRestoration191-1.jpg

Rob,

Did you take the upper radiator brace off the car before you took the picture of the engine? If not, it's missing and you'll put a fan through the radiator very quickly. :eek:

I've got boxes full of parts from the previous owner. He had removed the AC components, ect. many years ago. so, hopefully those parts are around.

I need to find some good diagrams on how the radiator, shroud, and condenser mount on the car.

As good as the Buick Service manual is, I'm surprised it has no info as to how the cooling system/water pump, AC Condenser is installed/mounted on these cars. Unless I'm just blind, and haven't found it in the manual.

I'm still a ways off from getting the car back together, but I'll be doing lots of research on how these parts properly go back together when the time comes.

I've noticed a few 'holes' in the service manual as well.

you going to get that thing to Branson this year?

With as much work as I have ahead of myself, I'd be lucky to get that thing to next years meet.

I am going to at least try and go myself however. Never been to a meet.

The a/c compressor bolts to the two ears that are protruding from the alternator mount. I'm venturing a WAG here that the PO took off the a/c because the rear bracket for the compressor wouldn't clear the finned valve covers. The a/c compressor AND the alternator should each have a double pulley on them. Two belts run both simultaneously.

The shroud sits on two "hooks" which are part of the front cross member. The upper part of the shroud is held in place with the upper radiator mount. The radiator itself sits in two rubber isulators on the cross member. There are rubber insulators that hold the top in place as well. No nuts, bolts, or screws hold it in place.

I'm betting that if you find what parts you're needing that when you get them ordered and delivered, it will be fairly easy to see how everything fits together. One thing everyone needs to remember. The chassis manual is not an assembly manual. One has to assume that the mechanic using the chassis manual is working on car that was delivered complete. It's a repair guide, not an assembly guide.

Ed

Lower shroud mounts are part of the bracket that holds the lower rubber saddles in place. Upper mount bolts through the back of the shroud into the upper radiator hold down. You have to install the fan inside the shroud to get it on. I put both in as a unit then reached between the blades to tighten the nuts down on the fan hub. The shroud is reproduced.

The condensor is held in by brackets off of the upper core support and I think down the sides near the bottom to sides of the radiator well. Best I know you'd need at least one to be recored, no reproductions.

There is a dryer located next to the horns that is held in place via a "pinch" bracket that it slides down into. It's hard plumbed into the outlet of the condensor, there is another line that runs down the inner fender back to the STV (mushroom looking thing) on the firewall then a huge line that runs back to the compressor with a silencer (big can looking thing) on it. The STV is rebuildable and the dryer is available new. The silencer however I'm fairly certain is not available.

I have all the peices off of the car but I'm torn between keeping them as a hedge in putting the Nailhead back in or selling them and having to find another set if I do put the nailhead back in.

Thanks for the description guys. I need to bookmark this thread for re-assembly time (which will be a while) For some reason, when the PO started restoring the car back in the 80's, he removed the A/C Compressor, and most of the A/C parts. (I have the compressor/condenser, ect.) I need to see if I can find the rear A/C Compressor bracket. I have briefly sifted through my parts, but did not come across it. Hopefully I just overlooked it, as the PO said everything is there. (But, we often know how that goes)

So, are you guys saying I can't buy a new condenser, and I'll have to get it re-cored?

I have the fan shroud, but it is not in the best of shape, so I'll most likely be buying a repro one. Like I said though, I'm so far off from this part and am going to focus on the rolling chassis restoration first.

On another note, was there ever an assembly manual for the 65 Riv's? I haven't been able to find one. I'd certainly LOVE to have one!!!

I had one for a Vette I restored years ago, and it was very handy.

Rob,

Did you take the upper radiator brace off the car before you took the picture of the engine? If not, it's missing and you'll put a fan through the radiator very quickly. :eek:

Was rummaging though my boxes-o-parts, compliments of the PO of my car, and found the upper radiator brace, so I have it.

Was rummaging though my boxes-o-parts, compliments of the PO of my car, and found the upper radiator brace, so I have it.

So, was it a little smile, a big smile, or a really big smile?

Grats, must be good karma or something!

-BEPNewt

• 1 year later...
I've got boxes full of parts from the previous owner. He had removed the AC components, ect. many years ago. so, hopefully those parts are around.

I need to find some good diagrams on how the radiator, shroud, and condenser mount on the car.

As good as the Buick Service manual is, I'm surprised it has no info as to how the cooling system/water pump, AC Condenser is installed/mounted on these cars. Unless I'm just blind, and haven't found it in the manual.

I'm still a ways off from getting the car back together, but I'll be doing lots of research on how these parts properly go back together when the time comes.

I am in the same boat as you were. Hopefully u found some good stuff on the radiator, shroud, condenser & water pump. I was up late last night thumbing thru my service manual to find the same problem...not much in there huh? where did you (if you did) find direction to put it all together?

I dont have a fan shroud but plan on ordering one today. I found one on the CARS site for $139.50-149.50 and one on the OPGI.com site for $206.99. Would you know the difference? I tried the search function and your thread was the closest hit. So I might start a thread to find out

thanks in advance

Dave, shortly after this thread, I bought another 65. This one was totally unmolested, so before I took it apart, I have taken many pics and video's. I now know how it goes back together. Let me know if you need any help, and or pics of how to put things back together. Rob.

I wouldn't buy anything from OPG. Get the CARS one.