'37 Pontiac front wheel bearings cross

Guest bofusmosby

Guest bofusmosby

I am looking for the outer front wheel bearings for my car, but when I call NAPA, they say their books do not go back that far. Does someone have a parts/cross book that lists a later year cross for these bearings? I can order these bearings, but the price is quite high. I was hoping that these bearings might be the same as some of the 40's or 50's cars, that NAPA would have a listing for them. If so, I am sure that the price would be a lot cheaper.

Thanks guys!

Jim,

According to the Hollander Manual I am looking at the following are listed for the outer front wheel bearings for your 1937 Pontiac.

#909001 New Departure Bearing Co.

#10001 Fafnir

#1 MRC Marlin Rockwell Co.

#909001 SKF Industries

#F001 Federal

#909001 Norma Hoffman

I hope this is a good starting point for you.

Dave.

If this guy doesn't have it, it probably no longer exists. He is not cheap and does not sell China or inferior made bearings, mostly NOS. You will find that the NAPA's etc will have a limited supply of parts for a 1937 anything. Recommend getting a Hemmings for contacts for parts, etc. I would also replace both the inner and outer bearing not just the one. In fact I would more than likely replace both wheels at the same time.

From my experience Pontiac did not share their bearings with Chevy, etc, but did with the more expensive makes.

BEARINGS, seals for: axles, clutch, differential, pinion, transmission, wheels, all years. Olcar Bearing Co, 135 James Creek, Southern Pines, NC 28387, 910-693-3324.**30-YR**

I am looking for the outer front wheel bearings for my car, but when I call NAPA, they say their books do not go back that far. Does someone have a parts/cross book that lists a later year cross for these bearings? I can order these bearings, but the price is quite high. I was hoping that these bearings might be the same as some of the 40's or 50's cars, that NAPA would have a listing for them. If so, I am sure that the price would be a lot cheaper.

Thanks guys!

Once you figure out a modern cross reference, or even a period cross reference, make a note of it. You can often buy mechanical parts for older cars from your "local better auto supply" (not the bubble wrap store) but their books don't usually go back far enough. If you have a more recent part number or a aftermarket part number they can often match that.

If you want to be nice about it you can then publish your information for others with the same or similar cars. I've done that for early Plymouths at Plymouth Replacement Parts

It would not surprise me if the Oakland/Pontiac club has some resources to help you there too.

Jim,

According to the Hollander Manual I am looking at the following are listed for the outer front wheel bearings for your 1937 Pontiac.

#909001 New Departure Bearing Co.

#10001 Fafnir

#1 MRC Marlin Rockwell Co.

#909001 SKF Industries

#F001 Federal

#909001 Norma Hoffman

I hope this is a good starting point for you.

Dave.

NAPA Online crosses those 909001 numbers and the Fafnir 10001 number to BRG B01

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=BRGB01_0213151685

Hello again Jim, looks like good news on this:

ND (New Departure) # 909001 also fits:

1946-57 Pontiac

1946-57 Chevy EXCEPT 1955(?)

1946-57 Chevy and GMC 1/2 ton truck

1946-56 Olds

So availability should be much better than other ball bearings, but the not so good news is that as they are still harder to find and more $$ than roller bearings. Looks like the going rate is $36-46 ea for the outers and $50+ for the inners. It might be a good idea to buy an extra pair for the future, and it might also be a good idea to buy a pair of inner bearings, even if you don't use them now at least you will have them. Maybe straight8pontiac could confirm the number on those, but it looks like the inners are:

ND # 909002

1926-39 Pontiac

Don't forget seals too, did you get the catalog from California Pontiac? Good luck, Todd

Guest bofusmosby

Thank you very much for all the info guys! It looks like so far, the info that Ron posted ( Olcar Bearing Co, 135 James Creek, Southern Pines, NC 28387, 910-693-3324.**30-YR**<!-- google_ad_section_end --> ) are the cheapest so far. They sell the outers for $28 eack, and the inners for $48 each. So I'm looking at a price of $152 for the complete set (plus shipping). I may end up ordering them, but I think I'll shop around a bit first. Living on a shoe-string budget, I need to get it through my head that I can't afford to do all the needed repairs at one time. I am, going to need to pace myself and do a little at a time.

Jim,

As I stated you will get a quality bearing from Old Car Bearing that will last you many years. To date everything I bought off of them were NOS and made in America, not the Chinese junk on the market today sold by many of the local jobbers. Sometimes it pays to spend a few dollars more. Pontiac bearings for some reason depending on year and model can be both hard to find and somewhat expensive.

Good luck.

Try your local industrial bearing supply house. Look in the yellow pages under bearings. Practically all bearings are available. The old bearings usually have a number on them if you look real close or take along the part numbers from this thread, and take the bearings and seals themselves. They probably have them in stock.

Guest bofusmosby

I'm probably going to get the bearings from "oldcar bearings" that Ron suggested. And besides, they have the best prices so far out of all the rest I picked up a couple of the front wheel grease seals (NOS) off Ebay for $11.50 for both. The felt looks to be in perfect shape. You all have also talked me into replacing both the inner AND outers at the same time, so there will be no worries (about them) for years to come.

Just for the heck of it, here's what the 1952 NAPA catalog says;

Inner Complete Outer Complete (All Federal)

'37-;39 F-002 '37-'52 F001

'40-'52 F-052

Be sure you are receiving complete bearings, that is, the inner and outer races, and the "caged" ball bearings, not just parts of a complete "set". New Departure, for instance, packaged the parts separately that make up one complete bearing assembly. Also note that while the outer fits '37 thru '52, the inner doesn't. These bearings don't hold up nearly as well as the roller bearings used later on, so keep them lubricated well. Hope this helps.

That is all good advice Jim, these should be a three piece set with the additional inner race, not just two piece like roller bearings. BTW, a bearing driver tool set will make installation much easier, they are available from Lisle tools for a few bucks. Todd