Gas tank Problem on 1926 Ford Model T Roadster

Guest Buick1908

Guest Buick1908

A friend of mine has a 1926 Ford Model T that we were going to try and get running today. It had not been run for two years and the tank was almost full so we desided to drain the tank of the bad gas. There is lots of rust in there and varnish buildup in the tank so we need to clean it out. We were wondering how to drop the tank on the car. It is under the dash and cowl and it is being real stuburn. We took the nuts off the bolts that are the straps what else needs to be done??? Does anyone have any tricks as to how to get that gas tank out of the car???

Is there any way to clean the tank while it is still on the car???

Any info would be great. Thanks for the help, From Nebraska, Andrew.

1928 Dodge Victory 6

1958 Ford Custom 300

1964 Ford F100 292 V8 Manual

1965 Ford F250 352 V8 Automatic

1942 John Deere B

1945 John Deere B

1951 John Deere B

1948 John Deere B

1948 Farmall C

Edited by Buick1908 (see edit history)

Andrew,

If the roadster is anything like the coupe tank, you will have to;

1. remove the sediment bulb on the firewall

2. loosen the set screw on the overflow tube and remove the tube.

3. remove the two straps holding the tank in place.

4. on my coupe I had to remove the steering column bolts and drop the column.

The tank would not drop down without lowering the steering column.

5. also remove the choke rod and ignition wiring (unscrew from the dash and let it hang).

Anyone else have any ideas?

Hope this helps.

Skip in MN.

Edited by caddyshack (see edit history)

Guest DrXerox

I have a 27 roadster and have pulled everything off necessary to get the tank out. Everything that everybody tells me...but to no avail. So...I had someone who has a 27 Coupe come over...and his cowl is different than mine. There is NO room to drop out that tank. It seems that the dash facing must come out...didn't want to do that...because of the paint damage...but there seems to be no other way.

That said...does anyone else have any last minute tips that might help? The pictures attached show the tank disconnected, and just hanging. The screws over top of the 'dash' are all that need to come out I presume?

post-68696-143138242693_thumb.jpg

post-68696-143138242711_thumb.jpg

DrXerox

A couple of things based on your pictures and on my comments above.

1. assuming you disconnected your battery leads, the dash light should be disconnected and the ignition plate and wiring should lay on the floorboard. Wire loom is in the way.

2. We actually removed the steering column because that was our biggest obstruction. Your picture shows it still attached to the dash. The fuel tank has an indent above the steering column and it can't be removed unless the column is lowered or removed. Paint damage is always an issue.

3. If you have a speedometer, the cable and speedometer may need removing or lowering.

4. I removed the four dash bolts and installed longer screws in order to pull the dash forward slightly. The dash is a very tight fit and I don't know if this will work in your case?

Hope this helps, can anyone else provide some helpful tips?

Skip

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DBAcadia

Recently did this removal for a '27 T. Do all of the aforementioned including

the underdash screws and column screws. This allows pulling the dash outward

The tank will tip toward passenger side and clear over column and out that side. Goes back in same way. Scratches the tank a little but nothing else. I

get to do it all over at some point as my home cleaning didn't do a perfect job.