1923 Chandler Chummy Sedan

Guest Classicjerry

Guest Classicjerry

Hello all,

My name is Jerry Morrissey and I am the Lead Mentor at the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners, MI. We are teaching Auto Restoration to at risk High School students and our current project is a 1923 Chandler Chummy Sedan. It came to the Museum in pieces and we are trying to piece it back together. We spent last week trying to evaluate the condition of the motor and while most of it looked promising there are a few issues that we really could use all of your help. First, the oil pump has the outer cases crumbling. Are there substitutes that will work or are there replacement castings or complete units available? Second, the piston rings have a few that broke during the previous tear down. They are 3.5 inch(.020 oversize) bore. Are there sources for these? Also, the valves appear to have taken on a lot of humidity and are rusted. Are there replacements available? Lastly, the fan pulley has some bad chips out of the outer half. Any correspondence or guidance any of you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I will try to come up with the vehicle and engine #'s when I am at the Museum next so that we can try to trace the cars history. I hope to hear from you soon, Jerry

• 6 years later...

Jerry   

I now have this 1923 Chandler.  Can you give me any info on it.   Did it have a clutch and transmission.  There is not way this will shift.  Been throw the clutch and transmission twice.  I did get some info on the DX clutch.  It is adjusted to all the specs.  But won't shift.  I am wondering if I have a miss match of clutch and transmission.