Carb Question - 272 Y Block in '55 Fairlane

Guest Metal Ghost

Guest Metal Ghost

Hello everyone, and thanks in advance for any help that you can provide on this.

I want to buy a new Power Valve for the stock carb on my 272 Y Block. However I'm not sure what to get or where to go.

First: over @ Mac's, there's a listing for "Carburetor Economizer Valve - Ford Holley 94 Carbs". Did the 272 with the 3-speed manual come with a Holley? If so, is this what I'm looking for (link: Carburetors & Parts - MAC's Antique Auto Parts )? Sure looks like a Power Valve to me.

Second, at Holley.com there are a number of Power Valves listed (link: Holley Performance Power Valves Products ). Will any of these work for the stock carb I described and, if so, which one?

Again, I would REALLY appreciate any help that could come my way on this one!

Guest billybird

The "78" prefix listed by Macs on this valve indicates 1937. If I'm not mistaken, this power valve was used for many years. So, yes I would feel confident this is the one. However, I have heard lately of some of these valves having to be machined to fit properly { Made over seas } Call Macs and talk to them and see what they say.

Guest Metal Ghost

That's a good idea billy....I'll give them a call.

I've heard the same thing about the overall quality of new replacement power valves (or lack of quality), which is why I'm hoping that one of the Holley ones will work. Not that they are automatically any better (and not that I heard anything bad specifically about the ones from Mac's, just replacement power vales in general), but I'm hoping that they are.

I did refer back to the shop manual and it specifices that the PV opens at 6.5 in hg, so I think that the one Holley that shows an opening vacumm of 6.5 in hg would work, assumig that the dimensions are the same (???).

Guest martylum

Hi-According to my Motors manual from this period, Ford v-8s in 55 used either a Holley 2100 or 4000 Model carb.

A number of vendors sell parts for Ford passenger cars of this era. I buy Ford parts of this era from Tee Bird Products In Exton, PA.

They should be able to help you with your needs.

Martin Lum