Turn Signal Chime - Disconnect

Guest 89Reatta

Guest 89Reatta

Hi there! New to the forums and as a proud owner of an 89 Reatta! :)

I enjoy every aspect of this car except the turn signal chime...hence the question below.

Question: How can I disconnect the turn signal chime sound? I found an old post that said the chime module is behind the glove box upper right corner, but that looks like the alarm module from the service manual???

If anyone has successfully disconnected on an 89 or knows how to do this, any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

The 1988 and 1989 have a unique turn signal controller and I believe the chime is built into that box. You would need to open the box and do some surgery. I think the best you can do is put tape over the holes and live with it.

Guest 89Reatta

Barney, thank you. Do you know where this box is located? I think what you are saying is that if I simply disconnected it I would lose my turn signal functionality altogether?

Disconnecting the turn signal module altogether would render your turn signals inoperative, and would likely cause other problems with the module being out of circuit. If you are good with component level work on electronic assemblies, you could probably disconnect the "speaker" within the module to stop the chime sound without affecting the functionality of the turn signals themselves.

In any case, your three options are to live with the chime (I can see where it may get annoying, my 91 doesn't have this, but I have heard it on 88/89 cars), obstruct the holes in the module to lessen the sound output level as already suggested, or modify the internal circuitry of the module to eliminate the sound output completely. In the latter case, all you would have is the indicator arrows on the cluster for verification that the signals were on. This makes it easier to mistakenly leave your signal on and annoy anyone driving behind you.

KDirk

Guest steveskyhawk

I like the chime. It is a feature unique to this car and dates the car. If I drove my 89 every day I'm sure it would become annoying and it would probably be muted.

Guest 89Reatta

I agree it is unique! This is not my primary car but of course only having owned it 3 weeks the novelty factor is still high and I have been driving it almost every day.

Where is the turn signal module located in the 89? May try the tape over the holes approach. In a perfect world would love to convert the chime to a more traditional click but I'm not sure that is feasible. I'd anyone has done that mod I would love to hear about how you accomplished it.

Thanks to you all for your responses!

Where is the turn signal module located?

Do you have a shop manual? I don't have mine with me at the moment, but it would probably be in there.

if you don't have a shop manual, I would highly suggest getting one... you're gonna need it... :)

Guest Bobby Valines

There is a place to turn down the volume of the chime. I don't remember off hand how to get there or if it affects the turn signal. Try playing with the computer and see if you can adjust it.