1980 MGB Tail Light Chrome Trim

Guest Hillock

Guest Hillock

I'm in the process of refurbishing a 1980 MGB, and could use some help. When I acquired the car, there was a piece chrome trim on each tail light/brake light lens, at the point where the lens attaches to the fender. These chrome pieces were broken, so I ordered new lenses (I couldn't find the actual chrome trim pieces in any catalogues). Unfortunately, when the new lenses arrived, they did not come with the Chrome Trim. Does anyone know where I can find replacements for these trim pieces?

Thanks in advance for any help.

MJH

I'm in the process of refurbishing a 1980 MGB, and could use some help. When I acquired the car, there was a piece chrome trim on each tail light/brake light lens, at the point where the lens attaches to the fender. These chrome pieces were broken, so I ordered new lenses (I couldn't find the actual chrome trim pieces in any catalogues). Unfortunately, when the new lenses arrived, they did not come with the Chrome Trim. Does anyone know where I can find replacements for these trim pieces?

Thanks in advance for any help.

MJH

If you're talking about a separate piece of pot metal chrome trim around the tail lamp, they were only used through 1975. They're available from both Moss ($18.95, part # 164-790) and The Roadster Factory ($18.90, part # LU54572304). If your car had those they were likely added from an earlier car.

You can also purchase complete tail lamp assemblies from either supplier for less than $90.

Guest Hillock
If you're talking about a separate piece of pot metal chrome trim around the tail lamp, they were only used through 1975. They're available from both Moss ($18.95, part # 164-790) and The Roadster Factory ($18.90, part # LU54572304). If your car had those they were likely added from an earlier car.

You can also purchase complete tail lamp assemblies from either supplier for less than $90.

Thanks Dave@Moon. Does that mean that the tail light lenses used from the early 1970's through the 1980 models are all the same shape and size? In addition to the car that I am restoring, I saw another MGB that looked very similar, that also had those same chrome trim pieces around the tail lights. I've just bought new tail light lenses, and I think I'm going to buy the trim pieces and hope they will fit.

Guest Hillock

Dave,

I've got another question. I've been looking on-line. at pictures of several late model (1977 - 1980 models) to see if they have those chrome trim pieces around the tail lights. I just saw a close up picture of a 1977 MGB and it also had these chrome trim. When I look on-line at Moss Motors and The Roadster Factory, I can find the parts as you mention in the note above, but it indicates that these are for earlier model MGB's. Is there a possiblity that it's the same part?

Thanks again for the help.

Mike

I don't know that much about MGs beyond what the books say. I'm a Triumph guy. Every picture of a rubber bumper MG in The Original MGB, which is the best originality reference for these cars extant, shows a narrow chrome band around the tail lamp lens. It's not clear whether those bands are separate elements or a part of the lens (like they are on TR6 turn signal lenses). There is no mention at all in the text of the chrome around these lenses.

I suggest you post this question on the British Car Forum's MG page ( http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/forums/4/1/MG).

Good luck!