Need help on my 51 Special.

Guest Jerry Few

Guest Jerry Few

Hi everyone, Im new here but have enjoyed this site very much. I bought a 51 Special several months back and it had been restored in 92. The car is in very good cond. and had around 2500 miles on the restoration. It had a few small mechanical issues that i have repaired and have driven it about 2000 miles and to a few shows. I now have another issue that i guess i need some input on. The car engine has started surging at all speeds and i have put a new fuel pump,plugs,points and cond., new coil new rebuilt carb and wires. I noticed today as i was checking the timeing that the vaccum advance was not working and i was not getting an indication that the mechanical advance was working. My question is will this cause my engine to surge . It idles just fine but as soon as i start to let off the clutch and take off it starts to surge at all speeds and is slow to gain rpm's and it is still a 6 volt system. I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks, Jerry Few.

Sure will...not enough timing will definitely cause a surge. You can use a vacuum pump on the vacuum advance hose to see if the diaphragm will hold a vacuum (or you can suck on the hose, but there are usually nasty fumes in there)...to check the mechanical advance, just grab the rotor on the distributor and turn it. It should turn fairly easily against spring pressure and snap back to its original location.

Edited by Aaron65 (see edit history)

Guest Jerry Few

I ordered a new vaccum advance yesterday from Bobs Autom. I will go out and check th e mechanical advance. I did not get any advance at all while using my timeing light (a didgital light that shows advance and rpm) The mechanical advance also seem to be not working. Thanks alot for your help. Jerry.

Guest Jerry Few

To Aaron 65. I just wanted to let you know that i replaced my vaccum advance came in today. I installed it on my buick and it cured all the problims i was haveing. Allthough the new rebuilt carb. would not perform as it should so i replaced it with my old one that i had rebuilt and it instantly ran as it should have. Thanks again, Jerry Few.