1940 Packard 120 conv sedan by Derham??

jimm

Hi again,

In my search for a '40's Packard convertible, I found a 1940 Packard 120 convertible sedan. It does not appear to me to be anything other than a production convertible sedan, yet it has a body plate stating "The Derham Co. Phila., Vehicle Number...." This tag is mounted just under the Packard body plate on the left firewall. The "vehicle number" is the same as the Packard body number.

I have contacted several Packard enthusiasts, but none has ever heard of a Derham 120 convertible sedan. Several have suggested that it might be a tag someone just slapped on the car to make it more interesting or valuable, and that is certainly possible. Does anyone have a Derham bodied car of any year/model with a tag on the car, and if so, can you describe the tag and where it is located, or send a photo? Or has anyone ever heard of a '40 120 being built by Derham? At first I thought maybe all the convertible sedans were sent out to be built by a outside source, but does not seem to be the case. I have also written to the CCCA Library at Hickory Corners to see if the Derham archives have anything.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would sure appreciate any information you have to offer.

Thank you, Jim

148 inch chassis would not of been a "120" , perhaps the car was for export. where the smaller engines were installed due foreign taxes and high fuel costs, is it factory 12 volt per chance, as most export model were; that would answer some of the questions.

Guest bkazmer

Kughn's Derham is a senior with lwb, just looking for any leads on what this 120 is. Didn't Derham usually mount their builder plaques on the typical right side exterior lower cowl?

Packard42, your comment is it factory 12 volt per chance, as most export model were really has me intriqued. Where did that information come from? I've been reasonably involved with quite a few export Packards and also have browsed the parts books fairly carefully and never seen or heard of a 12-volt option or 12-volt equipment for export of Packards (other than 55/56). The only 12-volt option of Packard that I'm familiar with was on the postwar 245 and 356 ci marine engines. Please, tell us more.

Section 4 of the 35-41 parts manual has almost every electrical item with a 6 and 12 v version and a couple have variations of that even. I had wondered about 12v being an option when some of the conversions discussions came up but have never run across anything but 6v. Never connected it to export.

yes it seem that the UK, Europe and the others move to 12 volts quickly and the export marketl needed to comply, also I told Packard starters are so strong even at 6v they never even bothered to have a 12v starters on the export model, this one hear say, but if you got the books, see if they should 12 volt generators and 6 volt starts on the right hand drive models, those were export for sure. I ran a 6/12 volt battery on my 356 for years, it cranks right up.

There are 6 and 12v starters, solenoids, regulators and generators. Doesn't really break down to RHD models -- just the usual chassis series. I know several have done conversions from 6 to 12v on their cars and kept the original starter--just changed the solenoid and other equipment. Most have reported no problems but a few came back and mentioned either the Bendix or gear had self destructed or other damage had been done such as cracked starter motor casting or broken tooth on ring gear etc. Must conclude that with the extra voltage and more energetic engagement, that poor mechanical adjustment and anything that is not in excellent condition won't be tolerated long running a 6 v starter at 12v.

One interesting thing is there seems to be no mention of any 12v equipment post war until 55. Wonder why that is or if cars were shipped over standard and not changed for use or maybe converted at importer or dealer.