Sign in to follow this  
Earl

Stainless Bolt Galling on '41 Buick

Well, I had the bright idea that when I replaced the exhaust manifold flange gaskets on my '41 Buick Century that I should use stainless steel bolts. Thinking that I would be the one removing them one day and that would make things simpler. Two days later I had one of the gaskets blow back out (I missed part of the old gasket up there) and one of the bolts & nuts had fused together from the manifold heat! I have never had anything like this happen. My brother says I should do the same and put anti seize stuff on the bolts. I almost couldn't get the stupid bolt loose. It finally came off, but if it had been one of the bolts on the back side I would have been removing the whole manifold to get to it. It is best just to stick with iron bolts here and get on with life or what? Thanks now, Earl.

I bought a stainless bolt kit for my 413 Chrysler engine and they suggested that each bolt should be installed with some anti-seize compound. Not sure why however.

I work with stainless hardware every day at work. IT SUCKS! Never ever use stainless hardware without never sieze. I've actually screwed a nut on a bolt by hand and had it gall that I had to use a wrench to get it off. Did I say Stainless sucks?

Using a different grade of SS helps to stop galling. At work we use 316 bolts and 304 nuts on piping flanges.

It's a fact that like type SS nuts/bolts gall. Always use anti sieze. For any exhaust work anti sieze is your friend. I even coat the pipe joints. For the exhaust flange studs I use brass nuts.........Bob

I changed them all back over to iron bolts yesterday. With my luck, even the anti seize stuff would miss a spot and I'd be in trouble with them again... But I did use it on the iron bolts so I'll find out how well that stuff works eventually. I had never heard of such a thing, and by brother hadn't either. He does a lot of welding and he mentioned it to a guy that helps him out when he gets into a welding dilemma and Rick told him about galling. The things we learn working on these old cars. These young high school kids are sure missing out on an education by not having much of an interest in this sort of thing. But it does seem like I get older faster than I get smarter some days. Thanks now for the advice. I'm sure I'll be back for more!

SS galling is a serious problem when replacing wire wheel spokes with SS spokes and nipples. Without anti-seize they can gall while you are adjusting them. My Son suggested using both anti-seize and thread locker so they don't stick yet never come apart. He was joking of course! At least I hope he was....