1923 Buick windshield wiper

Guest pssmls

Guest pssmls

Upon replacing the original glass for safety glass in my windshield, I noted that the wiper needs some work. The wiper blade material is worn out (very little material left in the blade) and the moving mechanism appears to be worn, as it wobbles as you turn the handle to move the blade from side to side. Does anyone know of a company where I can get a replacement blade, or material to install in my blade (the latter is probably the only option, I imagin). What can I do to stabilize the moving mechcanism?

If anyone has any ideas, please advise. Thank you.

From your description I am going to assume that you have a hand operated wiper. The only thing you can do to correct the wobble is to re-bush the hole where the wiper goes through the windshield. Not a hard job. You just have to make sure that you get the correct size and length of the bushing. I drilled out the old bushing, and then used JBWeld to cement the new bushing in place.

Guest pssmls

Hi Web 38

I called Snyders. They said that their Model T repo does not have the moveable blade like mine has. I am sure mine is the original. As you rotate the handle from side to side, the blade, in addition to moving back and forth on the windshield, also moves up and down, because of a metal cam-like, elongated half moon piece of metal that the upper end of the blade attaches to. The rod that attaches through a hole in the top of the windshield frame goes through the cam-like piece of metal, turns on a 90degree angle and is rivited to the center of a housing which holds the blade. The blade rotates up and down inside of this housing as it goes back and forth to the left and right. Quite an ingenious piece of engineering for its day. Does anyone know of a blade out there at will fit the wiper blade. The blade has an opening of about 1/16". There appears to be some kind of hard material (a few pieces) but most of it is missing. It could be hard rubber. I wonder if someone else has run into this problem. I want to be as original as I can on this veh, so I would like to use the wiper I have if possible. Thanks.

Guest WEB 38

MACs has an 8 in. blade in there catalog part no. T7801BL For $4.50 Phone no. is 800 777 0948 Hope this helps Bill WEB 38

Guest pssmls

J Franklin, I purchased one today - I cannot see how I can possibly retrofit using the filler, as the blade holder is only 1/16" wide. The only option wewould maybe be to trim the rubber down to almost that dimension and super glue the rubber into the wiper frame. If you havew any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks

Paul

Guest pssmls

I think I have figured a way to retrofit a blade from a supplier that I located. I think it will be narrow enough that it should work.