'83 Riv - How can I tell if engine is original?

YellowLark

There are some accessories on the engine in my Riviera convertible such as the power steering and power brakes that are very different from other 1983's.:confused:

So, I'm curious if this 307 engine is original, or even what year/make car it came from?

I can see (barely) the numbers on the engine ID edge. How can I cross reference these against other data on the car, or GM engine numbers in general?

Hum sounds to me like you have one of the convertible Riv's that came with Hydraboost brakes. This is a hydralic brake system that usually came standard on the Turbocharged engines - as those had considerably less vacuum than a non turbo engine. For some reason, unknown to me, Buick thought they would also put this brake system on a lot of the convertibles. My 83 XX car (not convertible) also came with Hydraboost brakes but also has the Olds 307 V8 while my other 83 has vacuum brakes. Does this clear that up a bit?

Maybe Tim McC... can suggest why Hydraboost brakes were so popular on the Convertibles.

Thanks, Jason,

Well, l since I have an '83 parts car, I checked that out, and see that the last six digits of the engine number match the last six digits of the VIN.

But, the convertible's numbers are not even close.

Oh well, I never planned for it to be a 400 point show car.:(

Anyway, I still think something else is amiss with this car as the power steering unit is also very different from my parts car and from two other '83 convertibles I have photographed. But, that may be the subject for another topic.

Jason,

So, are you saying that my power steering unit, which does not appear in any of the 1983 service manuals, and whose belt is badly mis-aligned and grating against other pulleys....could be factory-issued for my car?

If so, I guess I could shim the brackets to stop the belt conflicts, but, well, maybe I should take some photos of my engine to clarify this odd configuration.

I wasn't planning on so much detective work, but guess that it will be very worthwhile when its finally sorted out.

It's possible someone replaced the one on the car with one that didn't fit. My 85 (307) had just one thing missing and the alternator belt wasn't running straight to the pulley. It worked but would eat belts frequently until it was fixed. I finally have the other owners "quirks" worked out on it. I should take pictures of my power steering unit and hydraboot brake system on the 83 XX to post later.

If you'll check the VIN number, you can tell what engine originally came in the car. The 5.0 V8 was an option. The standard engine for that car was the 4.3 V6. It could be that IF the engine were replaced with a V8, the "swapper" tried using the V6 brackets and pullies on the V8.

Ed

If your SPID sticker is on the trunk lid, you can decode it to see what was originally installed on the car. You might also be able to find the build sheet stuck between the seat springs and the seat buns. It has all the build info as well.

Ed